Chapter 23

Nyra

It wasn't a creaking sound that alerted me but a soft breeze that tickled the back of my neck and ears. I stayed hidden underneath the covers, and as soon as the breeze hit me, it vanished.

Either he came in from my bedroom window or the bathroom window. Either way, he was in my room. I wouldn't know where exactly since the lights were off and I was pretending to sleep, but goosebumps erupted all over my body at the sound of his exhale.

It was what gave him away last time, and I didn't hold my breath to alert him but kept my breathing the same.

If I were Ivan, I'd want to know if my dogs were in the room, but the lack of barking gave it away. The second thing I'd want to know was if anyone else was in the room.

The minute that passed felt like the longest sixty seconds of my life. I felt a hand reach for the top of my blanket and tug it down so slowly. My body went into full attack mode as I reached for the gun from my front pocket and hit him across the face with it.

He let out a grunt of pain, and I got off the bed and turned on the lights. Ivan stood there with a busted lip in a full black outfit. He rubbed his face and narrowed his eyes at me.

"I thought I told you not to sneak into my room again."

"I'm not here to watch you undress like your creepy fucking cousins." He sneered arrogantly.

My eyes went wide at his words. Ammunition.

"You fucking bastard." I had the gun aimed at him but kept my distance. "What do you want?"

"Let's not play this game anymore. I know you know who I am."

"Yes, a dirty fucking pig." I spat. "You're going to die how all pigs die. I'm going to fucking slaughter you."

He lunged toward me at the speed of light, and I was able to get one bullet to pierce through his shoulder. As if I hadn't just shot him, he slammed me into the wall, and the gun dropped out of my hand.

The lamp on the bedside table shook next to me, and I reached for it and smashed it on the top of his head. I brought my knee up and kneaded him in the balls before kicking him off of me.

His hand circled my ankle, and he pulled back, causing me to fall down on the ground. I bit back a shout of pain, and he hurried to climb on top of me. His hands came around my throat, and he choked me.

I gasped, and my eyesight became blurry, but I could still see him above me. I reached for the knife from my ankle and shoved it into his side.

He shouted in pain, and his hands dropped for a moment, and I used all the strength I could muster up to push him off my body. I crawled backward, my breathing coming in short and staggering breaths.

As if I didn't just stab the fucker, Ivan came and kicked the knife right out of my hand, injuring my fingers along the way from the brute force. He reached for my shirt and yanked me coarsely off the ground.

We were face to face, and it was this small moment where we just stared into each others' eyes and contemplated what the hell we were doing.

I took that moment to headbutt him hard. I heard the sound of something cracking, and blood painted his face, but he didn't seem phased as he pulled out a gun and aimed it at my forehead.

We were panting, in pain, bleeding, and hurt, and even though he had a gun aimed at me, I felt some sense of serenity pass over me.

He wouldn't shoot me. He just wouldn't. I could see the hesitation in his eyes. He could have taken the shot so many times, yet he was faltering, hesitating.