Chapter 13

Ivan

A good man. I wasn't a good man. I was a liar. I didn't know what was worse. The fact that she opened up to me so calmly or that she was starting to trust me. Both were horrible things for her to do. Every time I think I know something about this woman, she does something entirely different.

Was her story true? It had to be, right? She didn't have a reason to lie to me. She didn't even need to tell me about this part of her. I was disgusted not only by her cousins and uncle but by the entire male species. She was a child.

A little girl, and they ruined her. Traumatized her. Left her with this rage, this pain, and I hated them for it. Wished them dead. Hell, I wanted to kill them myself. I'd never wanted to murder somebody the way I wanted to murder them.

When she talked with me, sat with me, laughed, and smiled with me, it was easy to forget why I was with her. It was easy to forget behind the sly smiles and cherubic laughs that Nyra was my enemy.

That I had an end goal with this woman. She wasn't mine, nor was I hers. We didn't owe each other anything.

Is that why you dressed up for your little dinner date with her?

It wasn't a date, and I was trying to be polite. My mother didn't raise me to dress down when someone invited me for dinner. I swear I could hear my subconscious scoffing at me.

God, even I knew my reasoning was pathetic. I bought a new fucking suit for dinner. Cost me an arm and a leg. I wanted to impress her, to show her that I owned more than old jeans and worn-out hoodies.

I knew she was rich, and she was probably used to men that could afford brand named clothing and gifts, but I couldn't. I wasn't that man that could spontaneously buy her a car or diamond jewelry.

I didn't even get to bring her flowers. Fuck. I just remembered now that I came empty-handed. If my mother knew this, she'd smack the back of my head. I was invited for dinner and showed up in a stupid suit empty fucking handed.

I wonder if she thought about it. If she wondered why I hadn't brought anything.

I thought you said it wasn't a date.

It wasn't.

I was going to lose my mind talking to myself. I grabbed my phone and dialed the number she had called me from last time. The call ended after a ring, and before I could text her, a different number called me.

"Yes, Ivan." She said. Disposable cells or she had more than one phone. Smart.

"I didn't buy you anything." I blurted out.

"Excuse me?"

I scratched the back of my head nervously. "The other night when you invited me for dinner. I came empty-handed. I want another chance, Nyra."

I think she giggled. I don't know, but it sounded as sweet and sticky as melting honey. I wanted to lick it up, taste her mouth, and see just how sweet she was.

"You want to buy me something?" She asked, her voice a mixture of surprise and amusement.

"I do."

She hummed in response. "You're cute."

She was always so free with her compliments toward me. I enjoyed them. As a man, you're programmed to compliment and praise the woman, but everything was always so different with Nyra. She praised and complimented me freely.

"When can I see you?"

"Not anytime this week. I'm out of town. Business." She said.

"I want to see you when you get back." I found myself demanding.