Chapter 11

Ivan

I couldn't lose sight of what was important. Nyra Carter was my enemy, and even though we had sex, that's all it was. Pointless sex. She didn't mean anything to me. This woman was a means to an end. Seducing her wasn't hard, and I knew it wouldn't be long before we were alone again.

It would take time and patience, but I'd get close to her, and when I did, I'd get my revenge. She had already confessed to me that she killed whoever got in her way. It was a confession. One I'd never be able to use and one I suspected I'd never hear again from her.

I had to be smart. As easy as it was for us to have sex, I knew it wouldn't be as easy to get close to her. Nyra's smart and meticulous. She didn't trust just anyone, and I knew she didn't trust me.

Whatever words were shared before and during the act were just false words with no meaning behind them. I claimed her, but it wasn't real. I wasn't a possessive man, and this woman wasn't mine. I didn't want her to be mine. I knew she didn't fall for it either, and the words we both spoke were just a way to enhance our excitement and need for each other.

Nothing more and nothing less. Whatever moment we shared right after was purely out of exhaustion. The lying and resting weren't real. It was hormones and endorphins. She uncuffed me right after, put on her robe, and then walked out of the room without looking back once.

After I had tossed the condom away and gotten dressed, I stepped out to see that the club was empty. Everyone was gone and there were two men waiting by the door for me to leave. Once I got in my car, they locked up and got into theirs.

That was a week ago. I hadn't reached out, and she hadn't either. I was still doing research, trying to find out all I could about her, but if some magazine or blog didn't post it, then I really didn't have anything. I left my department to hunt down this woman.

This unattainable and powerful woman, and for what? She killed Henry, yes, but would I ever be able to bring her to justice the legal way? Or would I have to deal with her outside the law? Would I stoop so low to that level?

I gave up my police gun, but I had my own gun in my safe. One I had on me for protection, but never used in my house. Now, all I could think about was killing that woman with it. Shooting her in the neck like how she shot Henry and watching her bleed out from it. I'm a detective, an officer of the law. I took an oath to protect and serve. I couldn't actually be contemplating killing this woman.

Could I?

Fuck.

I needed some fresh air. I slipped into my running clothes and placed my headphones over my beanie. Shoving my phone into my pocket, I stepped out of my apartment and started off with a light jog.

Twenty minutes later, I was in full running mode. My heart hammered against my chest, my muscles ached with how I was pushing myself, and I could feel every drop of sweat dripping down my back, chest, and neck.

My breathing was labored as I pushed myself even harder to run. I didn't have an end goal in mind. I just wanted to run away from my thoughts, but how far do you go to do just that? My music suddenly cut off, and I stopped when I got a call coming in.

I leaned against the wall and pulled out my phone to see an unknown number calling me. I wiped my sweat off with my other hand before picking up.

"Hello." I panted.

"Do you run because you like to or because you're punishing yourself?" She asked.

I looked around the park but couldn't see her. "You stalking me, woman?"