A little jab

Dinnertime had quickly become one of the most unpleasant moments of the day. It was the one where the pink demon had the most control. Sitting at the head table with her swivelling eyes, surveying the students and making sure her 27 billion rules were being enforced at all times. The girl sat across from Theodore Nott, conversing on the casual stupidity of the rule separating male and female students from one another.

She had met Nott in a potions class at the beginning of the year when they had been forced to partner up for a lesson. This had quickly proven to be a fatal mistake for Snape as the boy spent majority of the lesson attempting to hopelessly flirt with the girl, overconfidently adding too much peppermint oil to the calming draught.

The results were phenomenal of course, the boy had been left a blubbering mess as the extra peppermint oil caused him to burst into uncontrollable tears for the remainder of the lesson. The girl had eventually stopped laughing and clutching her stomach, taking him to the infirmary to see if Madame Pompfrey could reverse the effects. She had easily ceased the boys tears but absolutely nothing could ease the pain of seeing a pretty girl laughing at his stupidity. It had become a constant source of mockery between the group as the news quickly spread to Blaise and Draco.

Y/n was picking at her potatoes, slowly moving them around with her fork as she listened to Theodore's soft rambling. It abruptly stopped as five figures sat themselves around the pair. The boy tended to get closed off around others, choosing to brood in the corner instead of socialise. The group were led by Pansy as her voice rose in annoyance at the trailing boys.

"I already told you to drop it, it's not happening"

Y/n grimaced slightly, never having been at the end of Pansy's wrath, she could only assume the worst.

"Is everything all right?"

"They want me to join the Inquisitorial squad"

The girl only left out a soft oh in response, returning to poke at her plate once more. Pansy continued rolling her eyes as they attempted to convince her, their words died out as she simply told them she would the moment they completed the piling homework from her classes for her. In that moment the girl's coin lit up, growing in a soft heat as the time of the next meeting became engraved onto its golden surface. She could feel it in the pocket of her skirt, subtly patting it to confirm her suspicions. She dabbed at the corners of her mouth with her napkin before quietly excusing herself, rushing out of the room to check when they would be meeting.

Two sleek eyes trailed against her figure, unknowingly surveying her from the moment she brought her hand away to check the warmth of the Protean coin. He continued watching as she exited the room in a hurry, staying in his seat but making a metal note questioning where the girl could possibly be going and with who.

As Y/n made it out of the deafening hall she continued further into the walkway, quickly crossing the bridge towards the courtyard. It had been raining earlier in the morning, leaving the grounds gloomy, cast in a grey filter. And most importantly, empty. Before she could whisk out the coin from her pocket, a soft rustling erupted behind her causing her to swiftly halt her movement and shift her head over to the approaching figure. Their robes were highlighted by yellow details and a charming smile lit up his face as he saw Y/n.

In return Y/n released her breath at the familiar face, allowing a soft smile to breach her lips.

"Coin?"

He nodded in return as they two stared at the girl's coin, only bothering to bring out one.

8:30 pm

It was definitely cutting it close seeing as the curfew was set around 10 pm. But the prospect of being able to practice her spells still brought an excited grin to her face.