Empty compartments

Passerby's stared in wonder as an unattended child strolled through the crowded station pushing forward a trolley which held a stack of uneven suitcases which threatened to topple over at any moment. Pausing next to a pillar, she glanced down at her ticket knitting her eyebrows together as she saw 9 and 3/4 written on it. When her parents had handed it to her she hadn't bothered to actually inspect it, trusting it to be a straightforward process. It was meant to just be a train for goodness sake.

Instead of continuing to glance at the ticket, she brought her worried eyes to survey the people around her, hoping to find a wizarding family. It was proving to be far harder than she expected but her sight locked onto a a large family hurrying past, all with striking orange locks besides one boy. The mother led the pack, hurriedly speaking and making sure each of the children had all of their belongings, only slowing slightly to speak to the black haired boy.

 Assuming they were also wizards, due to their luggage, y/n quietly trailed behind them hoping she had guessed correctly.(A/N not creepy at all)

Once they had finally stopped she advanced towards the mother of the group.

"Excuse me, would you happen to know where 9 and 3/4 is?"

"Oh of course dear, you must be the new transfer student from Ilvemorny. Just walk straight through that brick wall over their"

Y/n let a skeptical look slowly grow across her face, seeing this the woman nodded encouragingly. The kind face of the woman eradicated the doubt which danced along her mind, and she ran straight into the column. She closed her eyes hoping she didn't break her nose, waiting for the feeling of her face bloodied against the bricks which lined the surface. It never came. 

Slowly she opened her eyes up to see bustling students milling around a steam engine train, some were already aboard sticking their heads out the windows in order to communicate to their loved ones. Smiling fondly at the steam engine before her,  Her fingers wrapped around the metal frame of her owl's cage as she raised her luggage towards the dedicated area using a simple leviosa charm, leaving only her carry on behind. She tentatively stepped onboard at one of the entrances, shifting her head around in a calm manner as to not seem like too much of an amateur. 

As y/n wandered down the halls, her eyes searched for an empty compartment in which she could settle herself down in without the prying eyes of other students. All of the compartments seemed to be full with students talking excitedly for the new year, The only compartment with room held a sleeping man, his suitcase having the name Lupin imprinted onto it. In defeat, y/n settled herself down, releasing butterscotch from his cage and bringing him into her warm lap. As the train began to jolt into movement, the door slid open, revealing a trio of students who appeared to be of similar age to her. One girl and Two extremely sheepish looking boys.

"Is it alright if we sit, there aren't any other compartments."

Her voice was melodic and yet still commanding, qualities which y/n found instantly memorable.

"Sure"

Y/n replied with a soft smile, popping her luggage into the bin above . The brunette then spoke reaching out his hand in search of a greeting,

"My names Harry and this is Hermione and Ron, nice to meet you."

"My names l/n, y/n l/n, I'm transferring from ilvemorny"

Ron's eyes turned to saucers, 

" Oh! Your the new transfer student from America!"

Y/n giggled while Hermione slapped his shoulder at his sudden outburst.

"Ignore him, the hunger's making his brain cells deteriorate"

They spent majority of the ride getting to know each other with hushed whispers as the professor stirred slightly in his seat. The somber attitude of the clouds rained down on the windows, continuing to grow in speed. Y/n found it slightly charming that the weather was so inconsistent. The train itself disregarded the disastrous weather, continuing further north into the mist until the windows were almost opaque. Soon after it came to a halt, shocking the group into a subtle quietness.

"That was a short train ride wasn't it"

but instead of the castle that Hermione had just spent the last 30 minutes describing, ghost like shadows with threats of complete and utter darkness began boarding. 

Y/n excused herself and began walking to the bathroom, only the moment she walked out her heart grew heavier, the sounds of sharp screams rang in her ears, building up tears in her eyes. Something drew her closer towards the front of the train, keeping her trapped in a slow trance. The screams of terror began growing, scratching at her ears until her body couldn't withstand the pain. A slender hand latched onto her arm, pulling her into a compartment before her body gave out under the stress and everything went black...

(A/N building suspense, I wonder who it could be ... mainly cause I haven't decide, leave suggestions please)

—Sweetandssour