Tea leaves and trauma

The whole debacle of Draco's whining had left the small imprint of a headache in the side of Y/n's head. It didn't help that she had become late for divination, forcing her to climb the twirling stairs. As she tenderly opened the latch to the room, she peered up, seeing the remainder of her class facing in the opposite direction, encapsulated by the weird quirks of the professor before them. Hermione, for once, seemed uninterested in what the professor had to say, her fingers picked at her hair, a stony expression glazing her face. Seeing the empty seat just beside her, Y/n quickly set her bag down, placing herself next to the Gryffindors. She let a soft smile place itself onto her lips as she shot a wordless hello to the girl. 

Before she could open her mouth to carefully ask what she had missed, Trelawney approached the table, staring at the two girls before turning her attention solely to promptly insult Hermione,

"Dear, I see that you are not gifted in these arts. How sad to see."

Upset, the girl stormed out of the room leaving Y/n behind in a fit of fury.  The said girl was surprised to say the least as she remained in her seat, eyes widened and mouth slightly agape at the exchange which had just occurred. Trelawney seemed completely unfazed, choosing to instead address the class, instructing them to split off into partners. The class abided, quickly begining to break apart, Harry and Ron were already chugging their teas in competition as they desperately tried to avoid being the first to check.  Y/n began looking around, surveying the nearby tables until a certain Gryffindor caught her eye. He sat alone, a worried look permanently plastered on his face. With no other option, she stood up and walked over to the nervous boy , planting herself down in the seat across from him. He glanced up from his textbook and his eyes widened seeing the beauty before him.

"My names y/n, y/n l/n. I guess I'm your partner."

"Uh- Longbottom, I mean Neville Longbottom."

The professor's voice boomed across the room, interrupting their introduction

"now take your teacup, and read the instructions for tasseomancy"

The book read;
1.drink the tea from the cup
2.when you are near the bottom work the dregs three times.
3.refer to the tea leaves sheet below

Neville picked up y/n's cup as she finished gulping down its contents, looking between it and the page multiple times before letting a deep blush move across his cheeks.

" um- it says you'll be the centre of love"

The girl took the boys cup next, accidentally brushing his hand. Peering down at the leaves, not noticing Neville almost exploding from the colour rushing to his face. She quickly scanned the pages, noting down the similar symbols displayed by the tea leaves before coming to her full conclusion.

"Um, it says you'll have success in gaining confidence. Good for you Neville! I'm calling it right now you're gonna be really hot soon"

She was interrupted by Professor Trelawney gasping dramatically,

"The grim! I see the Grim in your cup boy!"

Y/n turned with the remainder of the class to see Harry with a confused look set on his face. Quickly flicking through her book she found the Grim as the professor had called it, silently reading across the page. 

It read, The Grim is an omen of death, which is reputed to bring about the demise of the person who encounters it. The Grim takes the shape of a large, black, menacing, spectral . A well-known omen, the Grim has earned infamy throughout the wizarding world and is considered to be one of the worst, if not the worst, omens around.

A frown lent itself to the delicate feature's of Y/n's face as she continued to process the disgruntled words. She could only deduce one thing. Harry Potter was going to have a rough year. The bell quickly rang, causing a flurry of movement as students quickly packed up, the girl being one of them. Y/n got up and began walking out before she was stopped by a voice,

"W-wait, y/n let's walk to lunch together"

Nodding slightly the girl walked with Neville to the great hall. They didn't have too many things to talk about, but the ramblings of the girl filled the quiet space that Neville tended to leave hanging in the air.

Just behind the two, a trio of Slytherin's emerged from the infirmary, one now adorned with a large cast and sling upon his arm. Draco's icy eyes trailed over the pairs path, ignoring Pansy's threats of death if they didn't move faster towards the hall for lunch. It took almost everything in the girl to not just storm off as her hunger began to grow.

"What does y/n see in Longbottom."

Blaise became tense at his words while Pansy faltered slightly, a thought coming to rise to her mind.

"Why do you care Malfoy, and since when do you call people by their first name?"

Pansy chuckled slightly before rolling her eyes, a smirk present on her lips.

"Somebody's in love. Now let's move I'm hungry"

Y/n waved goodbye to the nervous boy, halting  close to the table adorned with red and gold coloured robes. She quickly moved over towards the Slytherin table, her eyes trailed over the students in search of her friends. As her eyes rested on a certain spot she finally focussed in on two males who glared furiously into the distance, seemingly having a heated argument as Pansy sat in front of them waiting for her friend to arrive. the girl had already begun piling various foods onto her plate, making sure to place a couple of bread rolls onto the plate just beside her, making sure Y/n could eat them before they could all disappear. Nearing the table, y/n reached for a glass of water, quietly thanking Pansy as she waited for the two boys to notice the presence of another person.

(A/n hope you enjoyed, my ideas are all scattered so leave suggestions please)

-Sweetandssour