Chapter 124

Friday 21st December
9.15am

Mackie 🦅
Hey guys - are we bringing in the Secret Santa things in today?

Scar 🕷
Yes

Banner 🧪
Yes we are

Point Break 🏄🏼
Wait until you see the gift I got Downey

Mackie 🦅
Dude! 🙄

Point Break 🏄🏼
What?

Mackie 🦅
SECRET Santa - the clue's in the name

Point Break 🏄🏼
Pfft! It's not a secret anymore - we all know who got who

Scar 🕷
That's true

Point Break 🏄🏼
And I've absolutely got the funniest gift. It's ace!

Scar 🕷
It's not a competition you know

Point Break 🏄🏼
No, but if it was I would defo win

Scar 🕷
🙄

Scar 🕷
Did everyone manage to get something character-themed?

Banner 🧪
Yes

Mackie 🦅
Yup

Point Break 🏄🏼
Not just character-themed, but hilarious 😆

11.55am
RDJ😎
@Scar, @Dorito it's not-so-Secret Santa time! 🎅 🎁 We're all waiting for you in the food hall.

Point Break 🏄🏼
Yeah, come and see the funniest gift

RDJ😎
2nd best, I think you mean Hemsworth 😉

Scar 🕷
Be right there

Ten minutes later, Scarlett walked into the food hall alone.
'Hey, where's Dorito?' Rob asked.
'He'll be here in a minute, but he said not to wait for him.' Scarlett answered. 'Let me just grab a coffee, first.' She added, giving Rob a significant look.
'How's he doing today?' Rob asked quietly, following her to the coffee machine.
'Not great, actually.' Scarlett said. 'I'd hoped Christmas would cheer him up, you know, be a bit of a distraction – but the closer it gets the worse he seems to be.'
'Christmas is a sucky time to be missing someone.'
'Yeah. Plus, he had all these ideas of Christmassy things he wanted to share with her, and now she's in another country spending Christmas with another guy.'
'Sucks.'
'Yeah. I'm going to check in with Scott later - just to keep him in the loop.' Scarlett said.
'Good idea.'
'Do you think he'd rather we get started without him or wait?' Robert added.
'I don't know, he said he just needed a minute to get his head on straight.'
'I'm kinda surprised he's even doing this Secret Santa thing to be honest, given how he's feeling.'
'Well, he got the gift weeks ago, otherwise I don't think he would be doing it.'
'Ah, there he is.' Rob said as Chris walked into the food hall carrying a gift.

Chris took a deep breath and plastered on his best fake smile.
No reason to bring them down too.
'Hey.'
'Finally! I thought you were going to miss it. And trust me, you don't want to miss the look on Rob's face when he opens this.' Hemsworth said waving his gift.
'Nah, wouldn't miss that.' Chris said with forced cheeriness.
He noticed a couple of them exchange glances - clearly he wasn't fooling anyone.
But I'm here - no matter how shit I feel.
'Why don't I start the ball rolling.' Scarlett said, and handed him a red, white and blue wrapped gift. 'Merry Christmas, Chris.'
He tried to look happy.
'Scarlett's setting the bar high - even the gift wrap is themed.' Renner teased.
'Thanks Scar.' Chris said, opening a Captain America toaster.
'It toasts Cap's shield logo onto the bread.' She explained.
'My nieces and nephews are going to dig using this.' He said, trying to be enthusiastic.
'Good, but not as good as mine.' Hemsworth pointed out.
'My turn next.' Mackie said, handing his gift to Scarlett.
'Thanks.' She said. 'Although I'm a bit scared to open it.' She teased.
Mackie grinned at her. 'It's nothing bad.' He said. 'I was quite restrained compared to some of these guys.'
Scarlett tore open the gift wrap and laughed at the Black Widow-themed toiletries.
'They make Black Widow bath sets and floss?' She laughed.
'And don't forget the best bit - Black Widow rubber duckie!' He squeezed it to make it squeak.
'Thank you.' Scarlett laughed and hugged him.
'Still not as good as mine.' Hemsworth joked.
'Oh God, please let him give his gift next before I throw something at him!' Renner laughed.
'Okay Hemsworth - you're up.' Robert said. 'Do your worst.'
Hemsworth grabbed his gift from the table and passed it to Robert. 'There ya go - the tackiest and funniest Iron Man thing I could find.' He grinned.
Robert tore off the paper and laughed. 'It's an Iron Man toilet seat!'
'For the next time you're on the dunny.' Hemsworth grinned.
'I particularly like the way your face is all over the seat.' Scarlett laughed.
'I always knew you were full of shit.' Renner deadpanned to Robert, causing Hemsworth to roar with laughter.
'Oh, this is going pride of place in the guest room. Thanks.' Robert laughed.
'You're welcome mate.'
'My turn.' Robert said, opening a large cardboard box and throwing a smallish gift to Renner.  'Great minds think alike.' He added to Hemsworth.
'Fucking hell!' Renner laughed, 'Is this really toilet paper with my face printed on?'
'Certainly is.' Robert grinned. 'My face on a toilet seat's not looking so bad now, eh?'
'Ha! So people are actually wiping their ass on your face!' Laughed Mackie.
That's brilliant!' Hemsworth agreed.
'Where the hell did you find it?' Renner asked.
'Couldn't possibly reveal my sources.' Robert grinned.
'That's genius.' Mackie said, shaking his head in amazement.
Robert performed an over-exaggerated bow.
'Who's next before Robert's head gets any bigger?' Scarlett asked.
'I'll go.' Chris said, handing a gift to Ruffalo. 'Can't compete with toilet paper though.'
'Hulk cologne.' Ruffalo laughed, opening it. 'It actually says 'smell like the hulk' on it!'
'Why would that be a selling point?' Laughed Scarlett.
'Open it up.' Mackie suggested. 'I want to see how bad it smells.'
Ruffalo opened it.
'Oh my God, it really stinks!' Mackie laughed.
'That does not smell good.' Renner agreed.
'Thanks.' Ruffalo smiled at Chris.
'Shall I give my gift next?' Renner said, handing a box to Mackie. 'Merry Christmas.'
'Thanks man.' Mackie said as he tore off the paper.
'Wow! It's a Falcon Mr Potato Head! That's brilliant!' He said, delighted. 'It's even got the little wings look.'
'That's an uncharacteristically nice present from you.' Scarlett pointed out. 'I was expecting something awful.'
'Well, I had my eye on some truly terrible stuff, but as soon as my kids saw the Falcon Mr Potato Head, they wouldn't let me buy anything else.' Renner grinned.
'So, last but not least, Ruffalo - you're up.' Robert said.
'Merry Christmas, I hope you like it.' Ruffalo said, handing a box to Hemsworth.
Inside was a Build-A-Bear teddy wearing a Thor costume.
'Thanks mate.' Hemsworth laughed, holding the bear up next to him. 'He can be my stand-in.'
'Aww he's so cute.' Scarlett laughed.
'You know, I can definitely see a resemblance.' Robert said.
'Yeah, it's that dopey look on his face.' Mackie added, pulling a stupid face and being playfully shoved by Hemsworth.
'And be honest Ruffalo, you asked them to put extra stuffing in so he'd have a bit of a belly like this guy didn't you?' Renner teased, rubbing Hemsworth's stomach.
'Anytime you wanna compare abs mate...' Hemsworth laughed.
Chris watched his friends laughing and joking, wishing that he could get into the spirit, but nothing felt right without Becs.

6.05pm
Scott sat in his mom's kitchen, chatting and nursing a coffee as his phone rang.
'Oh, it's Scar.' He said, answering it. 'Hey Scar, how's everything?'
'Hey Scotty. Have you got five minutes? I wanted to have a chat about Chris.'
'Yeah, of course. Hang on, let me put you on speakerphone - I'm at mom's and she's going to want to hear this too.' He said. 'She wants to talk about Chris.' He explained to his mom.
'Oh, hey Lisa.' Scarlett said.
'Hello Scarlett, lovely to hear from you. Is everything alright?' His mom asked.
'Yeah, I just wanted to give you the heads up about Chris. We did our secret Santa today and he seemed really down - more than normal, I mean.'
'More than normal?'
'Yeah. I'm kinda worried about him.' Scarlett said.
'Me too, but what can we do?' Scott asked.
'I don't know.'
'I mean, I've tried everything - bowling, beers, family night, boys night, movies, food - he's not interested in anything.' Scott said. 'Mom - what do you think? What can we do to cheer him up?'
'I think that Chris is really lucky to have so many people who love him and are watching out for him.' Lisa began. 'But there's not really anything you can do - he needs to work through this at his own pace. You can't speed it up for him.'
'But he's so down and Christmas seems to be making it worse.' Scott said. 'And he normally loves Christmas.'
'Well, he had all these things he wanted to do with Becs, and I suppose it just makes it more obvious that she's not here.' Lisa explained. 'But I think we need to give him time - it's only been a few weeks after all.'
'I guess...' Scarlett began. 'Hold on, Rob's trying to call me. Be right back.'
After a few seconds she came back on the line. 'Rob's going to call you Scotty - can you add him to the call? Apparently he's got some news.'
'Okay. What's the news?'
'He wouldn't say.'
'He's calling now, hang on.' Scott said, adding him on.
'Hey Rob, you're on the call with Scarlett and my mom now.'
'Hello Robert.' Lisa said. 'How are you?'
'Great. But you're not going to believe this - I'm pretty sure Becs is back!'
'What?!'
'Back? Back in the country?' Scott asked.
'Yeah.'
'As in, back back? Or just back to get her stuff?'
'Dunno. I think back back.'
'How'd you find out?' Scarlett asked, as Scott said 'Is she back alone? Or with that guy?'
'Pretty sure she's alone - I checked her Facebook page and the guy tagged her in a post yesterday saying how much he's going to miss his 'best friend' and something about staying in touch.'
'Best friend?' Scarlett echoed. 'Not girlfriend?'
'That's what it says.'
'So, they're not back together then?' Scott asked, confused.
'Doesn't look like it from the post.'
'But Chris was so sure they'd gotten back together and she'd moved back home to be with him.'
'Maybe it didn't work out.' Scarlett suggested.
'Let me show you the post.' Rob said, and a second later both their phones binged as a screenshot came through. There was a selfie of Becs hugging a guy at departures and it said 'Had an amazing time catching up with one of my best friends, but now she's going home ☹️ let's not leave it so long next time Becky!'
'Well, that doesn't sound like they were dating at all.' Scarlett said.
'No.'
'So Chris got it wrong?'
'It wouldn't be the first time Chris's anxiety made him misread a situation.' Lisa pointed out.
'Well, shit!' Scott said. 'Sorry mom.' He added.
'But this is great news!' He added after a minute. 'Becs is back and she's still single - her and Chris can make up and he'll be happy again!'
There was a pause. 'I don't know, Scotty.' Scarlett said. 'You didn't hear the row they had - it was pretty awful. Becs may not want to make up.'
'I'm sure she'll forgive him if he apologies.'
'You didn't see her face when Chris told her she was nothing special and he could replace her in a heartbeat.' Scarlett explained.
'So what should we do? Do we tell Chris she's back?' Rob asked.
'Of course!' Scott said, at the same time that his mom said 'No!'
'No? What do you mean 'no' mom?' He asked. 'We've gotta tell him.'
'You can't say anything yet - you can't get Chris's hopes up that they could get back together, only to find out that she's not interested. He'd be even more heartbroken.' Lisa explained.
'Your mom's right, Scotty. We can't tell Chris yet.'
'Agreed.' Rob said. 'We don't say anything until we know the score. And with that in mind, I thought I'd go round Becs' and-'
'No!' Scarlett and Scott both shouted.
'Do not go round there and interfere Robert.' Scarlett said. 'I know you mean well, but you could make things ten times worse.'
'Worse than them not talking to each other and Dorito wandering around like a kicked puppy?' Robert said scathingly.
'Yes!'
'So we're just not going to do anything? How will that help?' Robert asked.
'No, not nothing, but we need to take some time and come up with a sensible plan.' Scarlett said. 'Why don't we all think about it tonight and talk again tomorrow?' She added.
'I think that's a good idea.' Lisa agreed.
'Me too.' Scott said.
'I think it's a stupid idea.' Robert said. 'But I'm clearly outvoted.'