Chapter 22

Saturday
9.14pm

Chris looked around him at his family, all spread out enjoying the party. He felt at his most relaxed here with them, away from all the craziness of fame. Here he was just Chris, as he'd always been. And he was having a great time, but his mind kept slipping back to Becs, wondering what she was doing.

Chris 🤪
Hey there

Becs📚
Hi

Chris 🤪
How's your night going?

Becs📚
Having a great time - at Club Nero. Music is amazing and Ella has worked her usual charm and got guys to buy us drinks.

He instantly bristled at the thought of someone buying her drinks. Who is it? Does she like him? Are they dancing together? Has he kissed her?

Chris 🤪
Who's buying you drinks?

Becs📚
No idea. The bartender just keeps sending drinks over from Ella's admirers

That's okay then. He wouldn't spend the rest of the night torturing himself about what she was up to and with who.
Not that he had any right to be jealous. It's not like I'm her boyfriend. I'm not her anything. Just a guy that she's been messaging.

Becs📚
That's always the way when you're out with Ella - she's gorgeous, and guys just fall over themselves to do stuff like that. I don't think they even notice me or Viv, let alone want to talk to us 😆

I'd notice you.

Chris 🤪
If I was there, I'd talk to you

Becs📚
Thanks 😄

Becs📚
I wish you were here

I wish I was there too

Becs📚
You could come and dance with us 🕺

Chris 🤪
Hmm...you haven't seen me dance 😆

Becs📚
How's your family party going?

Chris 🤪
Great

Becs📚
GTG - Viv wants to dance. Speak to you later

Chris 🤪
Bye

*******
10.51pm

Scott walked over and handed him another bottle of beer.
'Thanks man.'
'Thank me in a minute - I'm about to become your favourite brother.' He said.
'You're my only brother.'
'Your favourite sibling, then.' Scott replied.
'Oh, I think Carly might have something to say about that.' Chris said, laughing.
'Carly might have something to say about what?' His sister said, appearing suddenly.
'Jesus, woman. You've got ears like a bat.' Said Scott.
'Scotty here thinks that he's about to be my favourite sibling.'
'Pfft!' Carly snorted. 'He wishes. Go on then Scotty, this I've got to hear.'
'I've got you the number of what could very well be the hottest woman in the world.'
'The hottest woman in the world? Really?' Carly echoed suspiciously.
'Yes!'
'Well, forgive me for sounding sceptical, but do you remember Crazy Susan that you set him up with that time? She was one step away from being a stalker.'
'She's nothing like Crazy Susan.'
'And then there was that one who was really, really fanatically vegan. What was her name?'
'Louise.' Chris added.
'Yeah, Louise. That was a fun BBQ.'
'Well this one is not crazy, and not fanatically vegan or anything else. I checked. She's blonde, blue eyes, tall, slim and a yoga teacher, so seriously bendy-'
'God, Scott, did you have to go there? She's not a piece of meat.' Carly smacked him on the back of the head.
'Plus she has a really nice personality.' Scott said in a sarcastic tone while trying to smack Carly back.
Chris laughed at them both.
'Thanks Scotty, she sounds great, but I'm not looking to meet anyone right now.'
Or no one else, anyway.
'Did you hear how hot she was?'
'Yeah. But still, no thanks.'
'Why not?'
'You're seeing someone, aren't you?' Said Carly with her usual perceptiveness.
'Umm...well...no, not exactly 'seeing' her.'
'Then what?'
Good question. One that he didn't really have an answer for.
He paused for a second, wondering how much to say. He didn't want to lie to them, but he couldn't tell them the whole story of meeting in the supermarket and then Rob finding her on tinder. Because the more people that knew that, the more chance that someone would accidentally tell Becs.
'It's just someone that I've been messaging online.' He said.
'Have you met up yet?'
I knocked her on her ass the first time I saw her, does that count?
'It's kind of early days.' He answered vaguely.
'Well if it doesn't work out - hot yoga teacher!'
'Sure.'