Chapter 53

Sorry about the slow updates for the last few weeks - school has been crazy busy! It it's the holidays now, so hopefully I'll get lots of writing done.
C xx
******

7.19pm

Becca ran in the front door. Chris was in the kitchen with Viv and Ella.
'Sorry, sorry, sorry.' She said, looking at the clock.
Chris smiled. 'Hi to you too.'
'Sorry. Hi.' She said, throwing her things down. 'I'll be as quick as I can.'
'I called Scotty and told him that we'd be a bit late, so you don't need to rush.'
'Thanks.'
But she did rush, because the only thing she hated more than being late was making other people late. And if she really hurried, they might just get there before the show started.
She jumped in the shower and had the quickest of rinse downs. She wished that she had time to wash and dry her hair, but she had to settle for putting it up. She glanced at the clock - 7.26. That shower must have broken some kind of record, but she still didn't have time to do much more than get dressed and throw on the barest minimum of makeup. Luckily she already knew what she was wearing.
7.31
She gave herself a quick check in the mirror and walked through to the kitchen.
'Okay, I'm ready.'
'That was quick.' Chris said, looking surprised.
'I rushed.'
'Okay then. I picked up some sandwiches for you on the way round - they're in the car.'
'Sandwiches, plural?'
'When Joe found out it was for you, he insisted on making a selection.' He said with a smile.
'Aww, Joe made the sandwiches for me? I bet they're amazing.'
'They certainly smell good. I was tempted to eat them all the way over here.'
'Well, I'm glad you resisted.' She grinned at him and he grinned back.
'You know, Joe gave me a real lecture for not taking you back to the cafe again.'
'Did he?'
'Yes, the only way I could get out was to promise that we'd drop by tonight after Scotty's set. He's probably making tiramisu for you as we speak.'
'Mmm.' Becca said.
Her stomach growled loudly, making them both laugh.
'Okay, let's go.' Chris said.
'Bye.' Becca said to Viv and Ella. 'Have fun at your dinner party.'
'We won't.' Said Ella, rolling her eyes.
Becca grabbed her jacket as she followed Chris out the door.
'They've got a dinner party?' Chris asked.
'Yeah, it's someone from Ella's job. Don't think they're overly impressed with having to go.'
'This is me.' Chris said, indicating to a white Lexus.
For a moment she was surprised to see that he had such a normal car, but then she thought about it. Of course he hasn't got a big flash celebrity car - he's not that kind of guy.
She was glad to see that he didn't try and open her door for her. It always weirded her out if guys tried to do that. There's being a gentleman, and then there's trying too hard.
She picked the bag up from the passenger seat as she climbed in.
'Oh, it's still warm.' She said in surprise.
'I had the heated seat going on the way here to stop it going cold.'
'Did you really?' She asked, looking at him and trying to work out if he was kidding or not.
'Yeah.'
That's so sweet.
'Thanks.'
'No problem.'
'God, these smell amazing.' Becca said, digging into the bag. 'What did he make? Aww look, he's put little labels on them.' She held them up for Chris to look at.
'This one's a meatball sub and this one's chicken and bacon. Wow, they both sound great - I'm not sure which one I want to eat.'
'Eat them both then.'
'I might just do that - I'm hungry enough. But don't you want any?'
'I've already eaten. But I wouldn't say no to a bite of each, to see if they taste as good as they smell.'
'You're on.' Becca said, unwrapping the meatball sub and taking a bite. 'Oh my God.' She said, through a mouthful of food.
'Good?' Chris asked, smiling at her obvious pleasure.
'Very good.' She said after she'd swallowed. 'In fact, it's so good that I'm not sure I want to share it now.'
Chris laughed. 'I guess I'm out of luck then.'
'Well, I suppose I should let you have one bite - you did go and pick them up after all.'
'I did.'
'Okay then, one bite.' She said, holding the sub out towards him.
'I can't take it, I'm driving. You'll have to hold it.'
I'm sorry? Feed him? That's kind of intimate.
Her stomach gave a small lurch at the thought.
'I promise not to bite you.' He said with a grin.
'You better not.' She joked, trying to keep things light-hearted. But her pulse was definitely going faster as she leaned over.
Chris went to take a bite and although it was childish, she couldn't help herself from pulling it away at the last second.
She sniggered and he looked at her, surprised and amused.
'Sorry. Couldn't resist.' She said.
She held the sub out again for him to bite, but he looked at her suspiciously.
'I promise not to do it again.' Becca said.
'Mmm...it is good.' He said, after taking a bite.
'It's amazing - I think I'm going to steal Joe away and marry him, so that he can cook for me everyday.' Becca joked, making Chris laugh out loud.
They lapsed into a companionable silence, listening to the radio while Becca ate.
'I'm really glad that you agreed to come along with me tonight.' Chris said quietly.
God, he sounds so serious. Like he's about to admit something.
The mouthful Becca swallowed, seemed a lot larger suddenly.
Is he going to tell me he likes me? Or ask me out?
She glanced over at him nervously, but his eyes were fixed on the road.
'You are?' She asked.
Please don't let him have heard the shake in my voice just then.
'Yeah.' He said and looked over at her, holding her gaze for a second before returning his eyes to the road.
Her stomach gave another jump. I think my butterflies have got butterflies!
'I'm glad we get to spend some more time together before I go away.' He added.
'Me too.' She said.
Chris looked over at her and smiled before looking back.
Oh, that smile! How can a person be that delicious?
She waited a minute, but he didn't seem about to say anything further on the subject.
So, no declarations of undying love then? Damn.
'Are you looking forward to seeing Seoul?' She asked after another minute.
'I'd rather stay here, but it's part of the job, so...' He shrugged.
'Well you've got to go, because otherwise how will you get my chocolate from duty free?'
He chuckled. 'Don't worry, I haven't forgotten our bet.'
'Good.'
'I also haven't forgotten about the bet you lost.' He added.
'Hmmm.'
Going on set and meeting the rest of the cast? Just the thought of it was enough to give her palpitations.
'You're not going to try and get out of it, I hope.'
'No, a bet's a bet.' She said. 'It's just...'
'What?'
'Well...there's so many of them - it's kind of intimidating you know.'
And they're all SO famous.
'Would you rather meet them one by one? I just assumed that you'd rather do it all in one go and get it over with.'
'God no, getting it all done in one go is probably best, even if it gives me a heart attack in the process.'
'You don't need to worry - they're all really nice.'
'I'm sure they are. I'm sure they're lovely, but...'
'But? Come on, what's the real reason you don't want to meet them?'
Becca sighed.
Just tell him the truth.
'What if I embarrass myself? What if I say the wrong thing and call Robert 'Tony' or call Scarlett 'Nat' or something?'
Chris threw back his head and laughed.
'It's not funny!' Becca grumped.
'That's what you're worried about? That's why you didn't want to come on set?'
'Yes.'
'Don't worry about that - people do it all the time. They won't think anything of it. We sometimes even call each other by the wrong names.'
'I guess. But what if I can't be normal with them?'
'What d'ya mean?'
'Do you have any idea how many times I've seen the Marvel movies? Millions! How am I supposed to have a normal conversation with one of them about tea or something without going all 'I'm your biggest fan' on them?'
'Tea?'
'Just an example, but you know what I mean!'
'I'm sure you'll be fine.' Chris said reassuringly. 'You're fine with me.'
'Yeah, but that's different - I got to know you first - before I knew who you were, I mean.'
'It'll be okay.' He said kindly. 'And if things are a bit weird the first few times you meet them, well so what? They'll understand.'
'Okay. But if I start stalking one of them, you know it'll be all your fault, right?'
Chris chuckled. 'I'll take all the blame.'

*****