Chapter 86

God, this was a hard one to write! Took me so many attempts, but I think I'm happy with it at last. Hope you all like it too.
I know that a few of you made comments after the last chapter about how Chris would be really upset because he overheard Becca say he was just a friend, well I just wanted to clarify that (normally I'd reply to you in the comments, but for some reason Wattpad didn't let me do that). All he heard was Becca pretending that he worked in the library and Becca's mum saying she'd never heard of Chris. He's still pretty upset about that though... Hopefully he comes across as upset and a little distant, rather than an asshole. That was one of the problems I had the first couple of times with this chapter.
C xx
****
Becca smiled to herself as she put her things back in her bag. Her friends really were the greatest, and they weren't afraid to give her a little shove in the right direction when she needed it.  She could stay if she wanted to.
She beamed at Chris as she went and sat back next to him, but the smile he gave back seemed forced.
That's weird.
'Did you have a good chat with your mom?' He asked.
His voice sounds weird too, kind of tight.
'Yeah, thanks for finding the phone for me - my mum always says that I'd lose my own head if it wasn't screwed on.' Becca joked, but Chris didn't respond. He wasn't looking at her either, just keeping his gaze fixed on the tv.
What's going on?
'So what'd you talk about?' He asked.
'Oh you know, just news from home, that kind of thing.'
'Right.' He said.
Okay, he definitely sounds weird. Is he mad about something?
'You okay?' Becca asked quietly.
He flicked his gaze over to her, making eye contact for a couple of seconds before returning to the tv. 'I'm fine.' He said.
No, you're really not.
She watched him more closely for a minute, realising that he didn't look mad, he looked sad...and a little anxious. He was chewing on a fingernail, and while he was looking in the direction of the tv, he certainly wasn't watching it. It looked more like he was staring into space in deep thought.
'Chris, are you-' She began.
'I'm getting a beer.' Chris said, jumping up. 'Anyone want anything?'
'No thanks.' Becca said, frowning slightly.
She looked over at Scotty, who was watching them both with a confused expression.
'What the hell's going on with him?' Scotty asked Becca, as Chris left the room.
'I've got no idea. I was going to ask you the same thing.' Becca said.
'You two had an argument or something?'
'No. Nothing.' Becca said, bemused.
'Something get said when you were washing up, dad?' Scotty asked.
'No.' Said Bob. 'Seemed fine then.'
Well, if he was fine before, and he's weird now, what could have-? The phone call! Oh God, did my mum say something to him? Did he overhear something?
'Maybe your brother just needs a minute and he'll be fine.' Lisa said firmly, obviously wanting to end the conversation.

When Chris came back in a couple of minutes later, it was clear that he wasn't fine - he sat down stiffly and started chewing his nail again. There was a low alcohol beer in his other hand, but he didn't seem to notice that he hadn't opened it.
Becca felt a little awkward - if they'd been on their own, she'd have no problem dealing with this, but here with his family, she didn't quite know how to act. And she felt conscious of their eyes on her.
'So when do you want me to take you home?' Chris said suddenly, his voice flat.
'Umm...whenever you want.' Becca said, but it came out a little squeaky. 'Or I can get a cab.'
'No, I said I'd take you.'
'Is Becs leaving?' Ethan asked loudly.
'Umm, yeah.' Becca said awkwardly.
'Buy why?' Asked Ethan. 'Why can't she stay til tomorrow like us?'
'Because she doesn't want to.' Chris said.
He went to take a mouthful of beer and noticed that the top was still on. 'Dammit.' He said, getting up and going through to the kitchen again.
'Let me speak to him.' Lisa said, starting to get up, but her husband put his hand on her knee, gently restraining her.
'I think Becs needs to go.' He said.
Lisa looked over to her and nodded.
Becca took a deep breath and followed him through to the kitchen.

Chris looked up with a guarded expression as she walked through. He was leaning against the worktop, drinking his beer. Becca could hear Grace and Stella's voices coming from the playroom.
Becca paused by the kitchen doorway. 'Hey.' She said, smiling.
'Hey.' He replied with that fake smile again. 'You looking to leave already, because-'
'Chris, what's wrong?' She interrupted.
'Nothing's wrong. I told you, I'm fine.' Chris said, walking towards the doorway as if he were going back to the lounge.
Okay, looks like I'm going to have to push the issue.
As he went past her, Becca reached out and caught his wrist, making him stop. 'I know that's not true.' She said quietly. 'Tell me, please.'
For a few seconds he just stood there with her holding his arm, not pulling it away even though he easily could. But he wouldn't look at her, instead fixing on a point on the floor, his jaw clenched.
Becca didn't speak, waiting him out.
'Your...uh...your mom...' He said thickly.
Oh god, what did she say?
'She had no idea who I was...she said...she said you'd never even mentioned a Chris.'
He finally raised his eyes to look at her, and his expression was just heartbreaking.
He looks so sad. This is all my fault.
She stepped towards him, just wanting to make him feel better and wrapped her arms around his waist and hugged him. After a second's hesitation, he hugged back, pulling her tight against his chest.
'I'm sorry she made you feel bad.' Becca said. 'It's not just you, I never tell her about guys because she worries - I'm her only child and I'm half a world away. Plus we met online and she thinks everyone on there is a murderer or a sex-trafficker. If she knew that I was here now, she'd have a heart attack.'
'That's why you didn't tell her about me?' He sounded surprised.
'Yeah.'
That's one of the reasons, and the only one I'm going to share right now.
'I thought...' He hesitated.
'What?'
'I heard you tell her that you knew me from the library.'
Oh.
'And I thought that maybe you didn't want her to know who I really was because...well...my anxiety issues are well documented and-'
'You think I'm embarrassed because you get panic attacks?'
'People have been before.'
'Don't be a moron.' Becca said gently.  'I don't care about that.'
Chris chuckled softly and then placed a kiss on the top of her head.
'This is nice.' He said.
So nice.
'Yeah, well, hugs are very soothing.'
'And you're tolerating it surprisingly well.' He joked.
'Aren't I though?' Becca said, making him laugh.
'Don't get used to it though.' She joked.
She could feel his chest vibrate as he chuckled.
'Stay.' He said, suddenly serious.
'What?' Becca said, enjoying the hug a little too much and not paying attention.
'Stay. I don't want you to go home today.'
Becca took a couple of steps backwards so that she could see his face.
'Your place isn't far - we can easily get your overnight things.' He said. 'Or we've probably got enough things here that you can use.'
She smiled. 'I don't actually need to - Ella told me earlier that she'd snuck my overnight stuff into my bag.'
'So you'll stay?'
Becca nodded and smiled and Chris grinned back at her.
'I see you two have made up.' Scotty said from the hallway.
'Becs is going to stay.' Chris told him.
'Excellent.' Scotty said. 'You kind of had to, seeing as the movie was chosen with you in mind.' He said to Becca.
She looked at Chris for clarification.
'Moana.' He said, making her grin even wider.