Chapter 90

A/N: Okay, I was writing this chapter and the next as one, but it's going waaay longer that I expected (far too long for one chapter), so I've decided to split it. This first one is bit shorter and more fun - hopefully you'll enjoy it. The next one is a bit more emotional.
C xxx
****
'Ladies first.' He said with a grin, opening the door to his childhood bedroom.
She's going to get a real kick out of this.
'Thanks.' Becs said, looking slightly suspicious at the grin, but walked in and then stopped dead with a surprised look on her face.
'Whoa.' She said.
Over the last few years his mom had filled his old bedroom with collectibles from his movie career - most of the movies were there, but the majority of it was Captain America related.
He glanced over at Becs, but felt a jolt when she wasn't smiling as he'd expected, she just stared at everything.
She doesn't like it.
'This is your room? You sleep in here with all...this?' She gestured to everything.
He followed her gaze, from the movie stills on the walls, to the shield, the action figures, the awards, seeing it through her eyes. Seeing his face everywhere.
It's too much. She thinks I'm some kind of egotistical asshole who needs to be surrounded with pictures of myself.
He felt a sudden need to explain. 'It's my mom, she filled it with stuff from my movie career - she...she's really proud and I never had the heart to tell her to stop. It's kind of...grown over the years.'
'No kidding.' Becs said, her gaze taking it all in.
Idiot! You should have moved it all before she came in. You've freaked her out - and she was just starting to really relax.
'Sorry - I thought that you'd get a kick out of it, being a Marvel fan. I'll put it away.' He said, randomly grabbing at things.
'No, leave it, it's fine.' She said, putting a hand on his arm to stop him. 'You don't have to get rid of everything, I was just...surprised.'
'You don't think it's a bit much?' He asked.
'Oh, it's definitely a bit something.' She said, but she smiled at him warmly and he relaxed a little.
'It's a bit much.' He repeated.
'No, I get it - your mum's proud of you. It's nice.' She looked round again and laughed. 'I kind of feel like I'm in some kind of weird Captain America exhibit though. Doesn't it freak you out, sleeping amongst all this?'
'To be honest, I'm so used to it, I hardly notice it's there a lot of the time.'
'Huh.' Becs walking over to the framed film stills on the wall.
'Those are from The Winter Soldier.' Chris said, following her over.
'Yeah, I got that from-'
'Oh, right, yeah, you saw Sebby in them.' He said.
'You call him Sebby?' Becs asked. 'That's cute.'
'That was a bit of a clue,' she continued. 'But the real giveaway was the label with the film name on.' She laughed, pointing to it.
'Oh yeah.'
'Is that the real shield from one of the films?' She asked, moving across the room to the one that was mounted on the wall.
'Yeah. It's one of the ones from the first film, so it might not look familiar - you were probably asleep.' He joked.
Becs laughed. 'I'm never going to live that one down, am I?'
'Probably not.'
She reached out her hand to touch the shield.
'You can take it down if you want.' Chris said.
'Really?'
'Sure, it just lifts off the hook at the back. But watch out, it's heavier than it-'
There was a loud crash, as Becs tried to take down the shield, but it slipped through her fingers and dropped onto the cabinet below, knocking various action figures flying.
'-looks.' He finished.
'Shit! I'm really sorry.' Becs said, looking horrified.
'Chris? Are you both alright? We heard a huge crash.' Came his mom's voice after a second.
'Yeah, we're both fine, mom. Becs just dropped the shield. No one got hurt though.'
'Don't speak too soon.' Becs said, picking up some of the figures. 'I think I decapitated this Captain America Bobblehead.'
She held the two pieces up. 'Please tell me this wasn't some irreplaceable, one-of-a-kind thing?'
Chris laughed. 'No, you can buy them for probably ten bucks on Amazon.'
'Oh, thank God for that.' Becs said, laughing with relief. 'I am really sorry though.'
'It's okay.'
He picked the shield up from the floor with ease and held it out for Becs to look at. She gripped it, but didn't try to take its full weight.
'Wow. That thing weighs a ton.' Becs said. 'How on earth did you manage to do anything with it?'
'We had special rubber ones for the fight scenes in the first film, which were much lighter. These ones were mostly for when we were filming the standing round talking bits.'
'Must've still given you arm-ache.'
'Yeah, I was usually pretty glad to be able to put it down at the end of the day.' He said, hanging it back on the wall.
'I didn't dent it, did I?'
'Nah, this one's pretty resilient - it's cast iron. We had some fibreglass and metal ones for The Winter Soldier which were lighter still, but nowhere near as tough - me and Mackie broke a few playing frisbee between takes.' He said with a grin.
Becs smiled. 'Well, to stop me breaking anything else, maybe we should start watching the film.'
'Sure.' He said, turning the tv on. 'Do you still want to watch Moana? Because we've got Disney+ and Netflix on here, so that covers pretty much everything.'
Becs sat on the bed against the pillows. 'I'd still really like to watch Moana, as long as you don't mind watching it again?'
'Of course not.'
Like I could say 'no' to you.