Chapter 13

Luckily they'd been running through the choreography for a big fight scene that morning, so he didn't have any lines to mess up,  because his mind was definitely not on the job today. It got him a few extra bruises for being in the wrong  place at the wrong time though.
He couldn't stop thinking about what to say - he wasn't ready to tell her who he was yet, but he didn't want to lie. And he couldn't see how to  answer her without doing one or the other.
Maybe he'd speak  to Scarlett again,  she'd made things so much clearer for him before.
He got his chance after the scene finished and they were on their way back to the food  hall for lunch.
'Hey.' He said, falling into step with Scarlett.
'Hey.'
'I wanted to ask your advice on something.'
She looked at him curiously. 'Sure, go ahead.'
'So...umm..' He didn't quite know what to say.
'Is it about that girl again that you've been messaging?'
'Yeah.'
'How's that going?'
'Really great. We have all these conversations, and she's really funny and clever. She makes me  laugh a lot.' He realised that he was grinning like a loon and tried to wipe the grin off his face. Scarlett gave him a knowing smile.
They collected their lunches and sat down at an empty table. The place was relatively quiet because most of the rest of the cast were filming a different scene and obviously hadn't broken for lunch yet.
'I'm glad its going well.' She said, spearing a piece of salad.
'Yeah,  but she's asked me what job I do again.'
'What'd you say?'
'I told her that I had to get back to work.'
'Better than hanging up on her. You're making progress.'
'Funny.' He  said, sarcastically, and she smiled.
'So  what are you gonna do?'
'What can I do? I don't want to tell her who I am yet - things are going really well and I don't want  to spoil things. But I don't want to lie to her either. Half-truths are one thing,  but this would feel like a huge lie. And I don't want to do that.'
'You  know it might not spoil things if she knew.'
'Or it might change everything. Besides, I like just being a normal guy with her and having normal conversations.'
'Well  you're gonna have to tell her something - she'll start getting suspicious if you keep avoiding the subject.'
'I know.'
Scarlett ate in silence for a few moments, clearly  thinking.
'So, you don't want her to know that you are Chris Evans, global superstar and sex symbol to millions, right?' She asked, teasingly.
'God, no.' He said, looking embarrassed.
'But you're fine with her knowing you're an actor?'
He thought about it for a second.
'No, because then she'll ask  me what films I've been in and I'll either have to lie again or she'll work out who I am!'
'Okay, okay, don't stress. Why don't you tell her that you work in the movie industry, which is not a lie, just don't say that you're an actor. She'll probably assume that you're a runner or a backstage person anyway.'
'What if she asks what film I'm working on?'
'Just tell her that you've signed an NDA. That's not a lie either.'
'That might work, you  know.' He said, consideringly. 'Thanks.'
'No  time  like the present.' She said, opening up a magazine.
'You're right.  Back in 5.'
He went and sat down on the other side of the room, away from everyone else and messaged her.

Chris 🤪
Becs? Are you about?

Becs📚
Hi there

Chris 🤪
Still chilling in your pjs?

Becs📚
No, dressed in actual clothes now and out of the flat

Chris 🤪
Doing anything fun?

Becs📚
I'm at the park people-watching and reading my book under a tree, waiting for some people to turn up

Chris 🤪
Sounds very relaxing

Becs📚
It is. What about you?

Chris 🤪
Still at work

Becs📚
☹️ You work some odd hours

Chris 🤪
You asked before what I did for a job,  and I didn't get the chance to answer you.

Chris 🤪
I work in the film industry, and they sometimes film weird hours - early mornings, night shoots. We have to be there when the actors are there