Awkward (Levi x Flirty Reader)

"Another round, brat!" Levi barks in the direction of the sweating cadet and crosses his arms. The young man had been goofing around with his friends this morning during training and is now being punished for it. Levi was annoyed with the cadets, but what made him most angry was that instead of allowing these children to have fun, he had to train them to fight man-eating giants.

The next expedition was still a few weeks away, but Erwin insisted for everyone to work twice as much on themselves, which meant no jokes or long conversations during meals, no game nights, and no visiting family or other relatives. It was exhausting and stressful for everyone, but Levi supported the commander's decisions even if he did not fully agree. He himself was grateful for happy and funny moments between him and his comrades.

"Leviiiii!" he hears the familiar voice of the brown-haired squad leader. Rolling his eyes, he glares into nothingness. Hanji comes to a stop next to him breathing heavily and fixes her glasses. "(Y/n) needs your help assembling one of her bookshelves. Mike doesn't have time."

"Tch. Can't she do it on her own?" he grumbles annoyed and indicates to the cadet with a wave of his hand that he can stop. With a salute, the blonde disappears.

Hanji laughs. "Have you ever seen her book collection? The bookshelf has to be huge to get all the books in! Come on, shorty, you two are such great friends," she winks. "Help her."

Levi pushes the scientist away from him and makes his way to his office. If he helped her, then at least freshly bathed. It was hot today and the sun had already made him sweat during his own training. He was already used to it since he came from the underground, but it still annoyed him that he sweated like a wet dog with every slightest movement that lasted more than five minutes.

After his bath, he makes his way to her office and knocks on the door.

Shortly afterwards, a young woman with (h/c) hair and (e/c) eyes opens the door with a warm smile. Her hair was disheveled, dark circles were under her eyes and dust all over her clothes. Levi could tell from the first moment that she was completely exhausted. Of course he could — they've been best friends for years.

"There you are!" (y/n) says relieved and opens the door wider. "I thought I'd have to do everything on my own," she points to the different parts of the bookshelf.

"It's fine," he mumbles and bends down while looking at the shelf. Hanji was right when she said the thing had to be big. He knew how much (y/n) loved to read, which is why he didn't mind helping her, although he always pretended to be annoyed about everything his friends asked for. But like any person close to him, they knew he cared a lot.

"I had thought, since the shelf is so big that it would be possible to divide it in two parts and then just put it in different corners," she shares her idea, crouching down on the floor next to him.

Levi shakes his head. "The wood was designed for one bookshelf, not two. To divide it into two, we would have to completely remeasure it."

(Y/n) smirks and puts a hand on his biceps. "You have the perfect muscles that I know you work so hard with, which is why it's going to be easy for you. I'm sure of it."

Levi sighs and looks everywhere but her.

He was accustomed to her flirtatious personality and the fact that whenever she had the opportunity, she would pull a seductive phrase or give exaggerated compliments — even when he never understood why she was doing this. He was embarrassed because he never knew how to react. He got that she was doing it just for fun, and that it wasn't her intention to point out anything, but he still felt stupid at how awkward it made him look.

However, it has to be said that it has gotten better over the years. At the beginning of their friendship, he hadn't even realized when she flirted. He would just stare at her annoyed or confused, ask a serious question about her statement, or ignored it.