Rest on Me (Levi x Reader)

"Captain! Over here!"

"What happened?"

"She fainted, Sir! We don't know why."

"(Y/n)? Oi, wake up!"

"Captain?"

"Everyone keep training, I'll take her to a nurse."

"Yes, Sir!"

-----------------------------------------------------------

With a strong headache pounding against your forehead, you slowly regain consciousness and open your eyes. Hissing, you sit up on the unfamiliar bed and run your right hand through your hair.

"(Y/n)?" Levi sits on a chair next to the bed and looks at you with concern.

You don't think you've ever seen so much worry in his steel eyes. That uncommon expression makes the dark circles beneath them look almost natural.

His hair is messy as he leans forward and takes your hand. "You're finally awake." he sighs in relief.

"What happened?" You ask and sit up properly.

"Tch, what happened is that you fainted. Sasha said you've been overworking yourself for days and even nights," he says with a scoff. "Is this true?"

You look away in shame. "I'm sorry, Levi."

Your boyfriends eyes soften. "What were you thinking?" he brushes your hair out of your face and strokes your head affectionately.

You press your face against the palm of his hand as you feel a lump forming in your throat. "I wanted to get stronger so that our comrades wouldn't have to die just because I-" you sob and wipe away the tear that is flowing down your cheek. "I just can't do it anymore, Levi."

He nods understandably and looks out the window. His expression is thoughtful as he plays with your fingers and frowns. Levi knows exactly how you feel because he feels that way every day. He bears the burden of being responsible, and thus guilty, for all the losses of his comrades, which is why he himself compulsively feels that he has to become stronger.

"Move a little." Levi lifts the blanket and carefully slips in next to you. He puts his arm around your shoulders and pulls you against his chest. Your boyfriend begins to draw small circles on your waist as he speaks. "(Y/n), you're not weak. And you don't have to get stronger either."

"But-"

"No buts. You...you're the only person I trust with such thoughts. You know that I have these feelings too from time to time. And what do you tell me then? That the only thing that matters right now is to rest." he kisses your forehead hesitantly. "You are not solely responsible for the war against the Titans. We're all going through this together, okay?"

You nod and snuggle closer to him. "Can you hold me?"

"I'm already holding you, brat." he rolls his eyes. "And now shut up and get some sleep. I'm staying here."

You smile and close your eyes. The pounding against your head hasn't quite subsided yet, but Levi's presence and familiar scent in your nose let you fall asleep peacefully again in a few minutes.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Hey Levi, do you think I could train with the others again tomorrow?" you flip to the next page of your romance novel and glance at him for a second.

"No," he replies, focusing on his paperwork without looking up.

You sigh, frustrated, and put the book aside before getting up. Standing behind him, you look over his shoulder and pout. "Please. I've been resting for a half a day now. I need to see something other than your room." You pinch your fingertips into his right shoulder.

He removes your hand and mocks teasingly, "Are my room and I too boring for you?"

You smile playfully, lean down and press your cheek against his. "Of course not, you could never bore me. And neither could the cleanest room within the Walls. I love both of you." You giggle.

Levi's face turned into a red mess after you got so close to him. Although the two of you have been a couple for a long time now, his shyness never diminished when it came to receiving affection.

He tries to hide his embarrassment by making a tsk sound. "You deserve to rest," he says after a while as you continue to lean your body against his. "Lie down, (y/n). In a few days you will have more strength again. But only if you rest your exhausted body and mind."

"I can't fall asleep in bed without it," you murmur sleepily.

He rolls his eyes again. "And how did you sleep all those years before we knew each other?" he asks.

"I didn't."

Levi turns his body slightly towards you and raises an eyebrow. "Go to bed, brat."

Without another try, you walk into his bedroom and drop onto the bed. For a few minutes, your boyfriend is satisfied and continues his work undisturbed until the silence is broken, again, by you.

"Isn't it ironic that a few hours ago you were worried, and now you want to get rid of me?  What a pity. And I loved you." you grin as you give your overdramatic response, hoping to get his attention while still laying on the clean sheets.

Levi stands up and shakes his head with a loud sigh. There's no point in trying to convince you to finally rest when you are being so clingy tonight. On one hand, knowing that you love him so much warms his heart, but on the other hand, it gets on his nerves that the one thing you two have in common is stubbornness.

When he comes through the door a few seconds later and enters the adjoining room, you are already sitting innocently smiling on his bed.

"My knight in shining armour. So there's still hope for—Hey! What are you doing?" you squeak and wrap your arms around Levi's neck, who had swiped you up into his arms without a warning.

Without a word, he carries you back to his desk and sits in his chair while keeping you on his lap. You try to get up – surprised by his action as you were just teasing him and not being serious, and stare at him confused.

"Get some rest, (y/n)." Levi says calmly and puts his hand on your waist.

You finally understand what he means and cuddle up against his warm chest without saying another word. Meanwhile, Levi is continuing to write while gently stroking your hair with his fingertips. Every few minutes, when you nuzzle closer to him, he'll plant a loving kiss against your neck and rest his forehead on your shoulder, grateful to have someone so wonderful, albeit stubborn, by his side.