Date (Levi x Reader Modern AU)

"There you go. Have a nice day." you wish the customer and smile exhaustively. The older man nods his thanks before he leaves the small café and heads back into the streets of Paris.

You rub your temple, yawn loudly, and lean against the counter with a frown after putting the money in the cash register.

"Tired?" Levi, your coworker, asks and places a cup of tea next to you on the counter.

You sigh with a nod. "I only have about an hour left to work. It's fine."

"You can leave earlier if you want. I'll sort that out with Erwin." he replies, looking at you with his blue eyes. Erwin is your manager and would certainly do Levi this favor if he asked him, as he has never missed a day of work and is a good friend of his wife, Hanji.

Levi is really a great guy who makes your work easier every day. He often relieves you of small tasks or prepares delicious tea without ever asking for anything in return. Despite his rather brusque personality, he was really sweet once you got to know him. When you started working at the café a year and a half ago, he was just as unfriendly and withdrawn to you as he was to anyone else, but as it turned out over time, that was just his way of dealing with people he didn't know.

You smile gratefully at him. "Thank you, but I can manage."

"If you say so." he nods and runs a hand through his black hair, which is styled in an undercut

You get on with your work, struggling to keep your eyes open for the next fifty-five minutes while trying to stay focused enough not to spill coffee on customers until you're finally ready to go home.

On your way to the bus stop you
are stopped by a familiar voice and the sound of jogging footsteps. "Oi, wait!"

You turn around. "Levi?" 

"You forgot your scarf." He stops next to you a little out of breath.

"Oh, I didn't even notice that! Thank you!" smiling, you take the soft cloth and wrap it around your neck.

He nods, but his face remains stoic. "No problem."

The silence is awkward as you both look at each other uncertainly – not knowing what to say.

After a few seconds, you point towards the direction of the bus stop with your thumb and slowly start walking. "I'll go home then." you wave slightly. "Good night, Levi."

"Wait..." You stop. Levi scratches the back of his head in embarrassment, alternately looking at you and the road. "Would you...uhm...like to see the new Transformers movie with me?"

You raise your eyebrows in surprise, not expecting him to ask that, and stay quite for a moment.

Levi, who probably misunderstood your silence, takes a step back. "You don't have to if you dont want to. Don't feel pressured just because we're...friends."

"Oh, no, no, no, don't get me wrong." you giggle a little at your clumsy answer. "I'd love to see a movie with you."

Levi's previous disappointed face lights up, but he tries to hide it by looking away. "Cool." Cool? Did he really just say that?! "Are you free next Tuesday?"

You nod. "Yeah, my shift ends at around five."

"Good, the movie starts at six."

You nod before teasingly asking with a smirk, "So is this a date?"

The eyes of the black-haired man, who is only a few inches shorter than you, widen. "W-what? Tch, no. It's just a hang out, unless...you want it to be a date." He's lucky that you can't see the red on his cheeks since it's already quite dark outside.