Midnight Snack (Levi x Reader)

It was three in the morning when you woke up feeling hungry.

After putting on some cozy socks and shoes, you head out the door with a rumbling stomach and tiptoe as quietly as possible through the dark corridors of the headquarters towards the kitchen – careful not to be caught by any of your superiors who might still be lurking in the hallways.

You've always been the kind of person who, despite having set meal times, got hungry on the spur of the moment. When you lived with your parents before you joined the Scouts at seventeen a few years ago, they always had to hide some food supplies they needed for the restaurant they owned because they would catch you raiding the cupboards at night instead of sleeping.

You couldn't help it.

With a mischievous grin, you put the rest of this morning's porridge into a small bowl and sit down at one of the tables. Just as you were about to lift the spoon, a voice beside you stops your movements instantly.

"What do you think you're doing, cadet?"

Drooping the spoon out of shock, since the sudden noise straddled you, you turn your head into the direction of the all to familiar calm, yet terrifying, voice.

"C-captain!" faster than you've probably ever done before, you stand up and salute. Instead of explaining yourself though, you stay quiet and keep your eyes on him – or at least try to.

If it was any other supervisor of yours, you would probably feel less nervous about being caught, but this is not just anyone.

Captain Levi is the most imitating person you know and you bet he is going to give you the punishment of your life for this. After all, this wouldn't be the first time you've been on his bad side, as you've always been the troublemaker in every group – which you still are. And he knows that.

His cold aura has made you anxious since the first day you met him two years ago. He never smiled, laughed or showed any emotions apart from disgust and disappointment, both of these being dragged into the surface for everyone to see when it comes to him looking at dirt or his cadets cleaning skills.

"I'm sorry, Captain. I-I was just feeling hungry and-" You pause, look down and try to avoid the gaze of the man who has been leaning casually against the wall for who knows how long.

When you see him prop himself up and come towards the table, you make yourself mentally ready to burst into tears. Another stupid habit of yours is to cry when people yell at you. Whether it's because of the volume or something else – you don't know, you just know it's going to happen and that it's going to be damn embarrassing.

Levi comes to a halt and stares coldly down at you. "You should have eaten at dinner," he looks at the mess you've made in disgust. You swallow nervously. Shit, eating like a pig is another habit of mine. Why is each of my character traits exactly the opposite of what he likes?

"Of course, Sir! I'll put it away immediately and go back to bed. Excuse me!" before you have a chance to run for your life, he grabs your arm out of nowhere and pulls you back towards the table. His grip is surprisingly gentle as he pushes you back into the chair.

"Tch, I never said you were dismissed." he let's go of you and sits down on the opposite chair.

"W-what?" you're confused.

"Stop looking at me and eat, brat. I'm not planing on sitting here all night." he says annoyed.

You nod slowly, still confused, and continue to eat. Why isn't he yelling at me?

It's against the rules to linger in the hallways after midnight, let alone eat anything, so why is he just sitting there instead of punishing you with one year cleaning duty?