First Kiss (Levi x Reader)

Note: Hello, dear Readers. I know I haven't updated in a little over three months, which I apologize for, but I promise I'm back now and although I'm not happy with this chapter, I hope you'll like it.
I will be uploading new oneshots as well as headcanons! Life has been pretty busy and I couldn't find the motivation to write anything, but I will update regularly again, so you can expect to get lots of smaller drabbles and thoughts on our lovely captain Levi :)

"Shit, we're stuck here. Dammit!" Levi cursed angrily. A bead of sweat rolled down his forehead, his hair was messy, and his shoes were stained with mud as he tried to keep his frustration under control.

The two of you had strayed from the planned path on today's expedition and came across a bunch of titans that neither of you could announce because your and Levi's flare guns were already used up. One of the humanflesh eating giants injured your horse when it tried to grab you, causing you to fall onto the ground and hit your head.

Levi had called your name and hoped that you would get back up on your own, but you were passed out, making his heart stop as he saw a titan approaching you. He had jumped off his horse, threw you over his shoulder and tried to get you to safety on a tree with the little bit of gas he still had.

That had been four hours ago and he hadn't made it on a tall tree.

You had woken up after a few minutes and noticed the state you were in. Your gear had been broken and Levi's gas was completely empty.

Now the two of you were nested against a large tree trunk for the time being. Fortunately, your capes served as good, albeit thin, blankets.

"Does your head still hurt?" your captain asked, holding out his water bottle to you.

You shook your head and took a sip. Your throat had been screaming for something to drink for hours, and you felt bad that you had to take his water, as yours was spilled when you fell to the ground.

"We need to get back as soon as possible," Levi said, looking thoughtfully into the distance. He had carried you further into the forest to be more protected from the titans. His horse, as well as yours, was nowhere to be found when he looked around for them half an hour ago. He knew they must have been afraid. Nibbles, his horse, had always been loyal to him and would normally come back, which is why he was all the more worried.

Contrary to what people might think of Levi, he actually cared a lot about his horse and animals in general. He didn't only value human life. Seeing the horses being killed with his comrades hurt him. He would never admit that though.

You leaned against the tree and pulled your cape tighter around your body. "Can't we wait here until it gets dark and then walk back?" you asked a little confused. In difficult situations, you could always remain optimistic and pass on this aura to others. That was one of your strengths and Levi admired that, but just now it didn't seem to help him.

"We have no other choice," he muttered, whistling for Nibbles for the hundredth time.

You saw the exhaustion in his eyes and pointed to the grass next to you. You never liked to see him suffer so much. Years of working together as comrades gave you a good understanding of his behavior, which is why you could easily tell how he felt.

Levi looked down skeptically for a moment and made a tsk sound before eventually sitting down next to you. "How much longer do we have to go through this?" he asked.

You didn't think he was talking to you, but you answered anyway. "I suppose it will be dark in about two hours. We're not too far away from the Walls."

Your captain sighed and looked down. He had meant the war, the fighting, the suffering and all the pain that not only he, but all the people who have to live in this huge bowl go through day after day. The fear, the sadness and the despair. For some reason, however, he was grateful that you didn't know what he meant and tried to stay positive. He was going to get you both back. Alive. Because while he was not afraid of his own death, he feared yours.