Not a Burden (Injured Levi x Reader)

Note: Thanks for 150 likes!!
I've published two other books about our favorite captain. Levi Ackerman imagines & Levi Ackerman headcanons.
This chapter is full of spoilers for the end of the manga.

"Levi?" carefully you slip next to him onto the bed. The soft blanket graciously hugs your bare legs, which is the only exposed area not covered by your nightgown. The small candle on the bedside table is the only source of light in the small room you and Captain Levi share. The crickets could be clearly heard outside, as well as a few night owls and the sun, which was hardly visible due to the bad weather of the last few days, had long since disappeared. It was late and you should have been asleep by now, but seeing Levi staring at the ceiling incessantly made you worry.

Since he found out how much he was damaged, he was not the same anymore. It would hardly be noticeable to someone who doesn't know him, but since you are his wife, you could see right through him.

"Go to bed, (y/n)." he murmurs without looking at you – his voice even more tired and depressed than usual. You frown sadly and run your fingers through his hair. The bandage around his face had just been changed by Hanji a few hours ago and his right hand, which he could hardly look at, didn't hurt so much anymore.

"My love, please don't exclude me," you say sympathetically and brush a strand of hair behind his ear.

He raises his hand and contorts his eyes. His expression, which is not stoic in your presence, becomes sad, vulnerable, and filled with so much pain. So much sorrow was in his eyes. Zeke had escaped, he couln't finish it. He was forced to kill his own team and watch a part of his only family die again. And for what? For the fact that he now lies in a bed and needs you and Hanji to take care of him.

"I'm sorry," he whispers. He puts his hand back on the mattress and looks at you with an acquaintance look that makes you smile slightly. He doesn't want to exclude me.

You lift the blanket and lie down next to him, making sure not to hurt him in any way. With a satisfied sigh of having his familar scent back in your nose, you carefully wrap an arm around his shoulders and pull him on top of you so that he can place his head on your shoulder. Your free hand caresses the ends of his undercut, which calms him down and makes him close his eyes. "What's wrong?"

He is silent for a moment. The room is small, but there is something comforting about it. Through the window you could see the moon and the stars. You had left the curtains open so that he could look out if he wanted to. You knew how much Levi loved the sky, and that he didn't take it for granted.

"What am I good for now?" he asks more to himself.

You look down at him and start drawing circles on his clothed chest. "What do you mean?"

He turns a little to the side to look out the window. "Tch. I am a dismembered piece of meat. Totally useless in battle now." he grumbles.

You shake your head and press a kiss on his head. "Levi, don't think like that."

He buries his face in your shirt. "My people are going to war and have to take care of me at the same time, while I can't do anything but watch." he whispers and titles his head so that you have better access to stroke his head.

You nod intelligibly and continue with your comforting touch on his hair.

You knew exactly how much it bothered him. All his life he was taught that he was not worth anything other than being a weapon. For him, being useful meant being human. If he couldn't, he was a nobody. Kenny taught him this over and over again. Power and strength is what kept him alive, he had to be that way in order to have any value. He believed this all his life, and it took an incredibly long time to prove him otherwise when you two got into a romantic relationshp.

You didn't care about any of that, though. You just wanted his good heart, nothing more.

"No," you begin in a gentle tone. "We were all sick with worry when Hanji told us about the explosion. All we want now – what I want, is for you to get better."

Levi sighs and snuggles closer to you. "I just don't want them to die. I've already failed to protect so many." he whispers.

"I know." you two settle into a comfortable silence, listening to each others breathing.

----------------------------------------------------------

An hour later, you suggested that you could take a bath together. You noticed that Levi was still feeling anxious and wanted to calm him down by helping him drown his worries in the best possible way – by cleaning. You had him sitting between your legs in the small bathtub, his head leaning against your chest as you carefully scrubbed the washcloth over his muscular body. Here and there, you press soothing, gentle kisses on his pale skin while he relaxes.

"Thank you, (y/n)." he whispers against your neck with that rare smile of his that expresses all the words he couldn't say out loud. That smile and the gentleness in his eyes told you everything you needed to know. How grateful he was, how much he loved you. You don't mind that he still hasn't talked much about his feelings for you, that he never said the three special words, or that he wasn't the most affectionate person. You knew how much he cared. You've always known.

You kiss the tip of his nose and smile.

After you helped Levi to dry off and put on his night clothes, you two settled under the covers in his bed, facing each other with your lips barely touching. His hair tickles your forehead, making you giggle as your finger traces the outlines of his jaw, ear and nose.

"I love you, Levi." you kiss him gently. "No," another kiss. "matter," kiss. "what." Your lips melted against each other as you slide your hand into the back of his neck into his hair to pull him closer. The butterflies in your stomach dance as he tangles his legs with yours.

A few minutes later you fall asleep with Levi securely tugged against your warm body