Seven: Venturing Beyond the Strange Door.

[Ashland, Oregon. Sunday,
November 19, 2015.]

Hours later, Y/n stared up at her ceiling. Doing nothing. Everyone in her family had just supper hours ago and decided to turn in for the night. Crickets were buzzing and the moon soared high in the sky, almost like it were in a cartoon.

Despite her efforts at decorating, her new bedroom feels small and cold, cracked, and faded. Additionally, she couldn't sleep and the weather, in true fashion, decided to rain again. Y/n then wondered if that stray cat of Wybie's was somewhere safe, warm, and secluded from the damp weather.

Soon though, her mind drifted from the feline and instead focused on something else. Or rather someone. Wybie... Y/n thought back to their agreement that day. To watch a movie together on Wednesday. She'll have to tell David that she needed to go to town for that day but hopefully, nothing comes in between their plans together.

Slowly closing her eyelids, she was about to sleep when something disturbed her by squeaking. She sat up in bed.

What was that?

Y/n, frozen, waiting for another moment to pass only to have the thing responsible to repeat its high-pitched noise. Slightly annoying and the other half of her filled with worry, the teenager got out of bed and looked down the hall, but saw nothing strange. She walked down the hall. From the master bedroom came low snoring — that was David.

Michael didn't make such loud and irksome noises in his sleep. Instead, Y/n could ever so slightly overhear her brother tossing and turning on his mattress, trying to get comfortable. He had a habit of moving around a lot in his sleep. It was then that the h/c-haired girl if she'd dreamed it, whatever it was.

That's when something decided to move. She was able to catch it before it disappeared from her view. It was little more than a shadow, and it scuttled down the darkened hall fast, like a little patch of night.

She hoped it wasn't a spider. While they always achieved in making Y/n intensely uncomfortable, she also had issues when dealing with spiders, given that she had developed a case of arachnophobia growing up, but has been slowly overcoming it. She can now kill or move the arthropods with no sweat but this only includes smaller ones. However, in an event of coming across gigantic ones, Y/n would rather have had someone shoot her in the head with a nail gun, repeatedly than have to witness a spider's eight-legged form.

Her e/c eyes caught the shadowy figure again and watched as it darted down the stairway. She blindly followed.

When reaching the bottom of the steps, Y/n saw the black shape go into the living room. She continued to loosely copy its moments nervously.

The room was dark. The only light came from the hall, and Y/n, who was standing in the doorway, cast a huge and distorted shadow onto the drawing room carpet but she paid this no mind. She needed to know what was creeping in the shadows.

Just as she was about to take another step in the room, she stopped her advances when she spotted the black shape edge slowly out from beneath the sofa. It paused, and then dashed silently across the carpet toward the farthest corner of the room. There was no furniture in that corner of the room, so it had nothing to cover itself.

Wasting not another second, Y/n hastily turned on the light and peered to the same spot again to see nothing. Nothing at all. There wasn't so much as a speck of dust. However, the old door that opened onto the brick wall remained looming in its spot. 

Y/n was sure that she had shut the door when she was with Michael but tilted her head to the side when she realized that it was now ever so slightly open. Just a crack.