Six: The Morning Fog.

[Ashland, Oregon. Saturday,
November 18, 2015.]

The mist hung like blindness around the house. Y/n couldn't help but shiver as she exited from Misses Spink and Forcible's flat. "I should have brought a coat." She whined. However, this did not matter since she lived practically only ten steps away.

Starting to make her way up to her family's flat, Y/n stopped and looked around. 'In danger?' She repeated one of her tea leaf predictions, trusting them wholeheartedly and wanting to do anything to prevent anyone from getting hurt from this alleged 'danger'.

Alas, it sounded almost exciting. It didn't sound like a bad thing. Not really. During this pensive train of thought, from behind her, a periscope rises from the waist-deep fog. Y/n manages to just catch it in her peripheral view.

She purses her lips together to prevent herself from smiling. She doesn't let on she's aware of the stranger's presence creeping around her. Y/n turns her heel and makes it look like she was going to grab something from her father's car, walking ahead nonchalantly, the periscope following her.

After a moment, she whips her body around in a blink of an eye. "Boo!" She says but nothing happened.

She waited.

And waited.

A little disappointed with his quiet nature, "Wybie," Y/n spoke up and crossed her arms over her chest. "I know you're there..." she trailed off, a little upset that her scare tactic didn't go as planned.

"Aw, what gave it away?" Wybie's muffled voice emitted from behind his welding mask when he suddenly rose from the fog.

Y/n looked down at the mask which was, again, clutched in her acquaintance's gloved hands. "Your scope," she stated. "If you're going to stalk someone, try to remain vigilant next time." She offered him a word of advice.

"I wasn't stalking you!" Wybie almost immediately argued. He looked like a deer caught in headlights. "I-I..." he stuttered and felt his heart race. "I just wanted to come to talk to you but I got a little sidetracked." He put it into detail.

"You wanted to talk to me?" Y/n repeated. While she was happy and content with this, she was surprised. The young man hummed and hastily nodded his head. "Well—" before she could continue talking, a soft meowing from under Wybie's coat prompted her otherwise.

He opens it and — much like their first encounter — the black cat emerges and climbs onto his shoulders. "He wanted to come and see you too," Wybie stated with a small smirk.

"It's nice to see you," Y/n admitted. "Both of you." She added, wanting to include both of them in the conversation. They were both interesting characters to her.

"Thank you..." Wybie took this compliment with pride, cherishing it with every fibre in his being. "So," he cleared his throat in hopes to ease his nervousness. It didn't help much. "What have you been up to?" He struck up a conversation with the new tenant.

"Meeting the neighbours."

"Oh?" Wybie raised a brow at this information. "How is that going for you?" He seemed to be interested in what Mr. Bobinsky & Misses Spink and Forcible had in store for Y/n.

"Mr. B went on and on about his jumping mice circus. After that, I went to visit Miss Spink and Miss Forcible which was a real treat," Y/n began reciting this morning's events. "They read my tea leaves and Spink says I'm in serious danger. Forcible, well... she saw something different." She kept her second prediction purposely ambiguous.