Nine: A Pleasant Surprise.

[Ashland, Oregon. Sunday,
November 19, 2015.]

After the unsatisfying breakfast that was served that morning, Y/n retreated to her bedroom. She immediately went to her mattress where her doll counterpart was waiting for her, staring up at the ceiling. Being grounded was not supposed to be a part of her weekend plans.

To be fair, it wasn't the most prudent decision-making on Y/n's part either; sneaking out of her house late and walking to God knows where. It surely wasn't her proudest moment.

Amid her sulking, the young adult overheard the sound of Michael's rambunctious music. He seemed — or at least at the very least — to shift his taste in music to focus on the rock genre rather than the metal he was diligently listening to a day or two ago. Today, he was listening to Pierce the Veil.

"Looks like he's up and at 'em." Y/n bowed her head but her attention was directed elsewhere when she heard a loud clunk against one of the windows in the corner of her room. Her gaze shoots toward the glass, contemplating whether to let it slide or get up to investigate. The h/c-haired girl ultimately chooses the former, too comfortable on top of her bed to drag herself over just to find nothing.

Rolling over to her side, Y/n preoccupies herself by picking up the doll and placing it on the chair it originally was on. Just as she completed this again, another strange sound came from her window.

'Maybe it's the gutter?' The teenager speculated, given that the Pink Palace wasn't particularly clean. However, her theory was soon debunked when Y/n spotted a pebble making contact with the aperture.

Puzzled, she instantly pushed herself up and trudged across the room to press her forehead against the cool glass whilst trying desperately to find the source of the stones before Y/n recognize the vague outline of someone standing in the front yard.

Sliding the latch open, Y/n leaned against the ledge and sticks her head out, "Hey! What do you think you're—" the disdain in her voice fades as she realized that it was Wybie Lovat who just so happened to have a sheepish grin spread across his face.

"Hey," he held the black cat in his arms, his gloved fingers stroking the feline. "Y-You weren't answering the front door, so I wanted to see if you were home," Wybie explained, temporarily looking down at the cat in his arms who couldn't be happier.

Y/n felt relaxed. "Gosh." She whispered to herself. "Just," the h/c-haired girl started again. "Wait there. I'll be right down!" She called out, hoping that neither Michael nor David was able to hear their conversation. Hopefully, her brother's loud tunes played to her advantage.

As soon as Y/n exited her room, she saw Michael do the same thing in her peripheral vision. She glanced his way to see him now donning his pair of earbuds as if the music blaring from his bedroom wasn't enough of a bother. "There's no need for those." She spoke up.

"Huh?" Michael grumbled out, peering over his shoulder to shoot daggers at his adopted sibling. He didn't want to waste his time speaking with her. He had better things to do.

"Your headphones. You—" Y/n tried to explain herself but, as expected, she was interrupted by her older brother.

"Man, hold on," Michael nearly shouted and took out his earbuds which continued to play his tunes despite them no longer being connected to his body. "What do you want?" He let out an exasperated sigh.