❝𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝟐𝟎❞

Two months later

Ayesha and Zainab met outside their exam hall. They grinned looking at each other. Their exams had finally ended. They could not believe they had already completed their four years in the university.

The two of them walked towards the chaat center which was near their university gate. Since Rayyan had banned the girls from having street food, they were utilizing the time his absence provided for them.

The girls had already finished two plates of chaat and were on their 5th plate of panipuri when they heard a car honk. Zainab turned towards the car and was shocked to find Rayyan glaring at them. Wasn't he supposed to return tonight? The moment Zainab's eyes met Rayyan's, she knew they were doomed.

Horrified Zainab tapped Ayesha shoulder, but latter ignored her focusing on the food in her plate.

"Ayesha, Rayyan bhai." Zainab said tapping her friend.

"Oh, come on, Zainab. Let me have it in peace. I know Rayyan will not be back before evening." saying that Ayesha ordered more panipuri to the man.

Seeing his wife making no move, Rayyan walked out of the car towards them. Zainab's eyes widened and she dashed towards the car.

Rayyan snatched the plate from Ayesha's hand.

"Zaina-" Ayesha paused seeing her husband in front her. Rayyan was glaring at her. Ayesha lowered her head seeing his glare. Rayyan paid for the food and grabbed Ayesha's hand and walked to the car. The car ride to Khan Villa was silent. And the girls knew it was the calm before the storm.

As soon as they reached the home, Rayyan took Ayesha by her hand and locked the door after entering their room.

"Why?" His low voice made Ayesha shiver.

"I was craving for it." Ayesha said in a small voice.

"You could have told me. I would have-"

Ayesha cut Rayyan's words. "The restaurant does not make as delicious as the street vendors."

"And restaurant also does not give you food poisoning like street foods." Rayyan said glaring at her.

He remembered the time she had gotten food poisoning a few days after Hashim's Nikah. She and Zainab had secretly gone to have panipuri and Ayesha was suffering as the consequence for three days straight.

Ayesha did not say anything further keeping her head low. Rayyan looked at his wife and sighed before going out on the balcony. He gripped the railing on his balcony trying to control his anger. This was not how he had wanted to spend time with his wife. He had thought of taking her to the orphanage and later to a dinner date as a celebration of her completing her exams.

He felt small arms wound his waist.

"I am sorry. I will not repeat again. Don't be angry." Ayesha said putting her head on his back.

Rayyan did not say give any response. Instead, he pulled himself from her grip and went to his study taking the laptop along with him.

Ayesha sadly looked at the door from where he left and sat on the bed. Tears started forming in her eyes and she started crying loudly. Zainab, who had come to see her after seeing Rayyan going to his study, was shocked to see the sight in front of her. Her best friend was sobbing unconsolably. Zainab tried consoling her, but Ayesha cried more loudly.

Zainab panicked and immediately dashed to Rayyan's study.

"Why are-"

Zainab cut off Rayyan's words. "Ayesha is crying."