3. and i might be okay but i'm not fine at all

two weeks later

two weeks later . . .

aaron warner.

I CAN'T GET her out of my mind.

I think I may be losing it too. Because I can't seem to forget her when it's obviously what I desperately need to do. Forget her. I've tried and tried and tried but she's still in there—like a stuck record player that won't stop playing. Repeating the same song and throwing sickeningly happy memories in my face. I have to remind myself that we only spent six months together. But those six months—they managed to be the best of my life.

I look out the window everyday, hoping she'll somehow turn up and run back into my arms but I know it'll never end that way. I don't deserve it, especially not after what I said to her. Yet sometimes I can't find it in me to care about whether or not I deserve it. Most of the time I just want to stare into those honey-warm eyes again. Touch that soft skin again and maybe, maybe if I can, kiss her again.

But it won't happen. It won't and I know it. I know it because I was the one who ruined everything. Who broke her heart and told her I wanted her to leave when all I wanted was for her to just stay. To stay by my side and promise me she'd never leave. Everyone leaves. And even though I thoroughly believed she would never even think of it, I ended up being the one to send her off.

It's my fault, I know this.

But I also know that I would give my everything to meet Mara Lockhart in that abandoned neighbourhood for the first time again. Back when she had no clue who I was and what kind of person I remain.

——————————

mara lockhart.

"HAPPY BIRTHDAY!" I jump up from behind the canteen, beaming.

Isaac shrieks like a baby and nearly stumbles back as we all surprise him. Kenji and I decided to throw him a surprise birthday party because he's never had one. He told us a few weeks ago and we couldn't believe it. So, obviously, we had to give him the best one ever.

I clap my hands together as he approaches, running a hand over his face. "What the hell is wrong with you guys?" he says.

Kenji ruffles his hair. "Just say thanks, man. We reserved this whole canteen, okay? And we got presents."

"From where?"

"We have connections," I reply with a smile.

Isaac shakes his head and looks between us, clearly fighting a smile. "Thanks. Seriously."

I embrace him in a tight hug and say, "You're welcome."