26. sun sinks up, no curfew

AS SOON AS I'm back at Adam's house, he nearly shoves me right back out of the door

AS SOON AS I'm back at Adam's house, he nearly shoves me right back out of the door. If Kenji and Isaac didn't stop him, he would've done.

"Step the fuck back," spits Isaac.

"This is my house!" shouts Adam, motioning to himself. "This is my home and she's bringing some fucked up psycho into it!"

"I get it," I say to him genuinely. "But we need to form a plan, even if it's with someone you really don't like."

"Alliances form in fucked up ways, man," adds Kenji. "We should just try to put our differences aside and—"

"Our differences?!" interrupts Adam. "Our differences lie with us being the good guys, people. He's a murderous lunatic who nearly killed me—"

"Adam," Juliette suddenly speaks up. We're all surprised to hear her talk—usually she stays out of these discussions. Especially when it includes Adam.

But whatever she's doing it's working. Because Adam is silent, blinking at her like he's wondering if she really just spoke. And I can see Isaac is fighting a smile. He has to look away.

"What?" Adam seethes. "Are you really going to defend the guy who locked you up?"

"I'm not defending anyone but Mara," Juliette replies calmly. "But you need to calm down. You need to stop pushing your personal issues with Warner in everyone's faces. No one here wants to live like this anymore and, even though we hate him, we need to work with him"—She looks at Aaron—"so that this can end."

"And don't start saying he's killed before as if you haven't," I add, my voice laced with venom. I'm sick of people around here acting as if they're so innocent and have never made mistakes or taken lives. Even I have.

Adam drops his arms in exasperation. Laughs without humor. "So you're letting this guy dictate your future? You really want a guy like that being your leader—"

"No," I stand taller. Try to appear confident when I lift my chin and say, "Once we've killed Anderson, I will become Supreme Commander and I will lead North America."

Everyone's gaping at me.

"You. . ." Isaac starts. "Huh?"

I fight a smile. "Listen, I get it's totally unexpected but I'm ready for it. I know it might be a little overwhelming at first, sure, but I'm really positive that I'll be a good enough leader. Definitely better than Anderson but that's not hard to beat."

"Okay," says Winston with a nod of understanding. "but how do you expect to kill Anderson? Not that I'm against it or anything, I'm just—I don't know how one would even try to approach that."