49. run, like you'd run from the law

"RUN

"RUN." IS THE first thing I say to Ella the moment the alarms start blaring.

She agrees with a fierce nod and we start sprinting through the lab, through the entry doors, through the corridors that are flashing red and there's some kind of automatic female voice announcing the emergency, yet keeping the cause behind it under wraps. The cause being the fact that the supreme commander of Oceania was just murdered by her daughters.

It takes us a while to try and find the exit and we have to battle dozens of inhumane, disgusting soldiers that attempt to take our lives. We use the combination of both our powers to overthrow them but more and more are coming and their shouts reign supreme throughout the white building.

"Shit," I hiss, leading us through a narrower hallway. "What the fuck is this place and why doesn't anyone tell you where the exit is?"

Another shout from ahead of us and Ella and I share a look before we dart to the right, our legs and muscles strong against the heavy concrete.

"GET THEM!" someone shouts. "THEY'RE NOT TO LEAVE ALIVE!"

I turn around, running backwards when I see another soldier sprinting our way. I throw him a vulgar gesture before summoning fire to my hands and tossing the flames at him in small balls. He screams agonizingly and collapses to his knees only to be sizzled alive a moment later, his cries quieting to lame whimpers.

"All talk, no damn action," I whisper.

"Come on, Eden!" Ella calls out, dragging me onwards. We pass more windows looking out at the insurmountable mountains and the glow of the lake. My heart aches a little when I feel that Emmaline is too weak to keep our communication up—though her mind is beyond powerful, it took everything in her to work up her abilities in order to get me and Ella there at the same time.

Another corner. Another hallway. Through another door. It seems hopeless at this point and I really don't know if we're going to make it. Not until we bump into something invisible. No—not invisible. That invisibility vanishes and Kenji comes into view, Isaac at his side.

Kenji.

Isaac.

They're here. They're alive. Most interestingly, they're taller too.

I throw myself in Isaac's arms first. He squeezes back just as tightly. "You bastard," I chuckle breathily. "You came. You actually came."

Isaac kisses the top of my head. "'Course we did, kid."

It's not long after that tears start spilling down my cheeks. I feel as though I've not seen these wonderful morons in years when, in reality, it's been mere weeks. Still. That can feel like forever when you're missing your unbiological family.

"Thank you"—My voice cracks—"for coming to get us."

Kenji's the next to hug me. He squeezes me even tighter and I purse my lips so hard so as not to sob. "I'm insulted you ever doubted us."