12. one look, dark room

I JUMP UP, sweat beading on my forehead as my chest heaves

I JUMP UP, sweat beading on my forehead as my chest heaves. I look around in panic and hear the monitors beep frantically, like I'm dying or something. Maybe I am. Maybe this is what it feels like.

"Mara!" Sara's voice sounds through the med bay and she comes rushing to me, her brown eyes offering me a comforting warmth. "Hey, hey, hey, calm down, you're okay now."

Memories flash in my mind—those in which I was shot by Anderson.

I'm panting when I say, "W-What happened? How long was I-I out—"

"It's alright," Sonya approaches me and pulls some kind of tube out of my arm ever so gently. "You're going to be fine, Mara."

Tears fill my eyes. "How long was I out?"

"Just under ten hours," Sara tells me in a soothing tone. "It's okay."

"What happened?"

The twins share a look that I don't like at all, one that makes me think something bad happened. Something really bad.

"Hey," I snatch their attention again. "Guys, what happened?"

The door flies open and cuts Sonya off. I glance over her shoulder and watch as Isaac and Kenji walk in, their faces coated in concern and anxiety. I know that look all too well unfortunately. All Too Well, it makes me think of Taylor Swift. I know I shouldn't but it brings me a nice comfort to know my brain's working normally.

"Mara," whispers Isaac. The boys share a look between one another before they approach me carefully. They sit beside my hospital bed on their knees. "Are you okay? Do you feel better?"

I say, "I think so."

"That's good, that's really good," nods Kenji.

I frown. They seem more worried than me. "What's wrong? Why do you look like you're three seconds away from shitting yourselves?"

"Uhhh. . ."

"Well, we just—"

"—kinda complicated—"

I roll my eyes. "Tell me."

Kenji groans. "But it's so—"

"I was shot," I use that excuse even though I know it's kinda mean. "You have to tell me."

He blinks at me in disbelief. "Are you being serious right now?"

I fight a smile. "Yes. Tell me. Please."

And after they look at each other one last time, they tell me stories I wouldn't have thought of in my wildest dreams. Adam's father happens to be the same man who raised Aaron. They share a father. And apparently, Anderson was shot by Juliette after I went down and Kenji had to drug Aaron in order to get him to calm down and off me. He was in shambles, according to the boys. So they took him hostage—they took him hostage and now he's here—at Omega Point. It makes all of my organs stop working for a little bit. After they escaped the house, Juliette used her abilities to make sure everyone got back safely.