27. your eyes look like comin' home

"STOP ACTING LIKE you're actually working out and get over here!"

My head spins at the sound of Isaac's voice and I break into a painfully bright smile as I spot him and the rest—surprisingly including Adam and James—by the entrance of these training compounds, standing before the elevator.

"I was working out," I laugh, sprinting over to him and the others. I throw my arms around him, embracing him in a tight hug. "You're really here."

"You ever doubt I was going to be?" He chuckles.

I can't stop smiling. "No way,"

Juliette shoves Isaac out of the way with a frown and beams as soon as we make eye contact. "Hey, Mar."

"Hey, babe," I hug her too, squeezing tightly. There's something about her I've always been connected to, like an invisible string or whatever. At least that's what it feels like.

"Babe?" I hear Isaac exclaim. "Are you two a couple or something?"

I flip him off without looking at him.

Kenji snorts. "Don't tell me you're jealous, Meyer?"

I can only hear Isaac's breathing now. I can't stop my laughter as I pull away from Juliette—who's blushing—and glance over at him. His jaw ticks and he glares at me.

"What do you know, Mara Lockhart?"

Grinning, I quickly shield my mouth from view. "Nothing."

"Liar,"

"What?" I hear Kenji say from behind me. "What's she got to lie about, Meyer? Is there something going on between you and J?"

Me and Kenji observe our two best friends as they share a quick glance before staring at the floor. Isaac looks up again quickly, shooting daggers at us with his eyes. "I will murder you in your sleep,"

"Empty threat, bro. You love me too much,"

"Not as much as he loves Juliette, don't forget,"

"Ahh, good point, Lockhart."

Juliette nudges me. "Shut up,"

I roll my eyes. "Don't worry, babe, you're too pretty for him anyway,"

"I'm wha—did you just call me ug—"