01. New books and Faces

Tamina

Bad luck is a curse.

The weather forecast clearly stated yesterday and today were going to be full of sunshine and daisies. Being two minutes late on television this morning tricked me into believing it wasn't on, hence missing the correct report—hell, even the weather widget on my phone lied to me. After cleaning the house, slipping my shoes on, and rushing out at 14:35 p.m. the sign of the handy work from a downpour didn't concern me until I'd been halfway to my favourite spot in town with light spits of rain that had decided to make themselves known.

Putting it past me and dusting off the droplets with one hand while the other pats down the static strands noticeable in the reflection of the door, my hip bumps it open in the process. A slab of coir with the words Peace and Welcome stamped into it greet me before my feet scrape against the surface. The door shuts with a soft click, allowing the heat to engulf and nudge me on my way as joy stirs within at the familiar scent of woody vanilla.

A few people dot the rows of tables, the silence rings in my ears more than the turning of pages—a remembrance of why this place is one of my favourite spots to visit.

Inspecting the opening of shelves before me, a smile tugs at my lips. I've got a good feeling about today, so I can only hope it won't be another let down.

Manoeuvring through the maze of oak shelves, knowing each section like the back of my hand. Routes of genres and categories try to swerve me off course, but there's only one direction I'm going to. Romance.

Having the Authors in alphabetical order would be helpful, then again, it makes the hunt for it more fun and well deserved. Not only that, the possibility of finding something else along the way only adds to the excitement, and I'm going to make sure I leave with something today—

"Mind if I join you?"

The fact my body visibly jumps is worse than the small squeak I make, but with how my heart's racing, it's hard to concentrate on the humiliation.

"I didn't mean to scare you," the same masculine voice announces. "Are you alright?"

Spinning round, a broad chest greets me and the words lodge in my throat. A lock of thick mahogany peeks from under a navy-blue hood and barely brush the lashes framing forest green eyes. And to say I'm a sucker for tanned skin, light stubbles, and strong jaw lines because of those damn books. To top it off, he's at least six feet.

Talk about tall, dark, and handsome.

"Yes, sorry, you scared me." My eyes widen. "I mean, I hope I didn't scare you; I mean—"

"Thank you for yesterday," he intervenes—which I'm thankful for—and adds, "I didn't intend to come across as rude. It's rare for someone to do something like that out of the blue, I was surprised."

The longer I stare at him, the more it comes back to me. After a quick scan of the shelves a plan to leave was interrupted when he dropped his belongings on the floor. I'd been quick to swoop in and help to carry the items to the counter. Helping was the easy part, receiving anything other than 'I'm grateful' wasn't. Then again, who speaks to strangers with ease?

Showing an understanding smile, I extend my palm and say, "No problem, and my name's Tamina, it's nice to officially meet you."

"The pleasure is mine." He takes my hand and his grip tenses. "Try not to be nervous."

Pondering his words, my lip rolls between my teeth to refrain a disbelieving sound. Trying to be anything but nervous is hard when there's a stranger, let alone a handsome one, in front of me.