27. Get a Room

Tamina

Three days have passed. Up until this point, there had hardly been anything from Brandon other than 'are you keeping well?' and 'are you prepared for the event? I'll run it through on the way.' It was better than nothing at all, so no complaints came from me. Throughout the journey, he delivered as much detail as he could, and in a sum: we listen to a speech, congratulate people, and dance; what could go wrong? 

Lucius hadn't been brought up, so I'm only praying it stays that way for the remainder. I'd explained everything from the start to the finish as he'd wished, and it's not like I could've done much against Lucius. As much as I'd hate to admit it, he's bigger and stronger than me, and I'm sure he's probably equally matched to Brandon. He'd pushed his way in when I'd promised myself and Brandon I'd keep a distance. . . only to fail when he kissed me. It was strange.

Staring out the window, my thumb trails over my lower lip absentmindedly in remembrance. For someone who's out to get at people and clearly bent on bad intentions, his mouth was the opposite—he was the opposite. He'd taken care of me in a time when I wasn't feeling my best self, and his lips were passionate, even though they were demanding.

Not only that

"Is everything alright, my love?"

Brandon's voice cuts through the silence, and thankfully my thoughts because with the scrunched-up note in my hidden pocket on the dress, they're slowly turning south. On another note, I'm happy he's talking full stop. Other than complimenting me when he arrived and a deep kiss, he's been quiet.

Rubbing my temple, my lips automatically tug up into a small smile. "I'm fine. . . just thinking." The smile drops when my eyes flick up to his. "What if I mess up?"

A low sigh comes from him, and I'm grateful he's wrapped an arm around me, it's the only thing keeping me grounded knowing what's to lie ahead. "You're not going to mess up, you'll be perfect. Just remember what I said, and nothing should go wrong, sweetheart." Pecking my head ever so softly, he whispers, "They're going to adore you."

I can only hope that's the case, if not, I'm not only letting him down, but I'm also going to prove just how unworthy I am to his family. Perhaps coming was the bad idea, maybe I should've heeded the note's warning. Nevertheless, I'm unable to hold back the smile etched on my face at how much confidence this man has in me.

"Shall we head in now?" he asks.

I shake my head. "If we have time, can we stay here for a little longer?"

A small smile graces his features. "Of course."

Sighing in relief, my body sinks into his, enjoying the heat he's providing. Now that I'm not concentrating on the problems at hand, it's dawned on me that Branon's brought a driver instead.

"Hey, what happened to your car? Is it broken?"

Brandon chuckles and shakes his head while his eyes soften. "No, sweetheart. Mother thought it was best we be taken. To her it's more sophisticated, at least, that's how she phrased it," he informs, and I'm easily joining in with his laughter.

Although, the realisation of having to go in settles over me, and the thought of the near enough silent car ride with the rush of the fields over here to what could be lying in store is more preferable. . . but I have to do it. The remembrance of the contrast between the town and the city is the only thing keeping me grounded on why this has to make a difference for us, and I'll have to bear it in mind if I'm going to make it through the night.

"Alright, let's go."

Brandon exits the car, leaving me to take in the view before me as he instructs the driver of his next tasks for the night. The building is brightly lit, and it makes up in expanse for its lack of height. The edges are brightly lit with small cup lights, and the mid-section of the structure is dotted with fairy lights.