17. Caught Up

Tamina

"You didn't have to wash up," I comment, "but thank you," while I take the dry-up position.

"It's the least I can do," he replies, and hands me the last utensil before drying his hands.

"Thank you. . . and thank you for coming to explain."

He grips my arm when the last item is stored in the cupboard, and my eyes settle on his. "You deserved to know, and before we continue, I need to warn you that my life can be hectic, and there may be times when I can't contact you but understand that my feelings for you will never change."

All I can do is smile like a fool at his confession and wrap my arms around his waist, burying my face into his chest. "Thank you, I'll remember that." Turning to the plate of brownies, my fingers swipe one up before extending it out to him. "Would you like to try one?"

Instead of taking it like I'd thought he would, he bends down and takes a bite, leaving me speechless.

"It's delicious, well done, sweetheart," he offers, carefully liberating the chunk from my fingers. "Your turn."

My cheeks burn when my teeth take it and chew it up, but his eyes make it worse since they don't stop watching me while I eat it. It was nice, and I'm proud since this is only the third time I've made brownies.

"Well, what do we have here?" a familiar voice questions, and the humour is easily noticeable.

"Mum!" I squeal, humiliation bubbling up within me as I hide my face.

Risking a look at Brandon, he eyes me in confusion before clearing his throat.

"B-Brandon, this is my mum, Tricia Rovers. Mum, this is Brandon."

Brandon extends his palm out for her to take, and she shakes it with wide eyes. "I know who you are, Brandon Wolfe, and how do you know my daughter."

Retrieving his hand, he says confidently, "I'm Tamina's boyfriend."

My eyes widen, shocked he full on said it. That should mean it's official. When I'm about to give him the are you sure look, his fingers intertwine with mine, and my lips are beaming in a painful smile. And then my brows furrow.

"Wait a minute, how do you guys know each other?" I question, my eyes fleeting between the two.

Mum's fair brows crease before she shakes her head. "Darling, you really need to start checking out social media and magazines. He's the boss of Wolfe's Publication, didn't you know that?"

My cheeks tinge.

I didn't because he never mentioned his work, and that was his business to know.

"I didn't tell her." His eyes swing to me. "I just wanted to spend some normal time with you before you found out, that's all."

My heart swells. "And that's fine. Um. . . now we're all caught up, where's dad?"

Mum's eyes widen as if she's just remembered his existence before she chuckles. "Gerald, come look what I found!" she hollers, and my cute 'pumpkin'—as mum calls him—dad comes waddling in with two handfuls of bags.

"Hey, what—" His eyes widen, and I'm quick to run over and engulf him in a hug.

"Hey, dad!" I squeal before softening my voice, "So. . . I've got a boyfriend—who's been amazing, and he's been the perfect gentleman. You probably know who he is," I say, taking a step back to allow dad a good inspection of Brandon.

His eyebrows almost hit his hairline, and I'm trying not to laugh, but I guess it's the nerves that are keeping it at bay.

"I know you," he starts, eying him from head to toe. He finally shakes his hand before jutting his bearded chin toward the hall. "Come, son, let's have a chat."