45. Best Behaviour

Brandon

Tamina's message has been playing in the back of my mind all day. I'd do anything just to reply and explain everything to her, but life is a bitch and if it doesn't want you happy, then you won't be. Maybe it's time for me to face the fact people like me are born to remain above others, and we should just take whatever we can before our time's up.

But there will never be another like her.

On the other hand, maybe this is what she needs. This can give her the reason to leave, and it will give me the shock that I shouldn't have taken her for granted. And then Lucius will be able to have his chance at her, and I won't have a right to stop him.

My phone vibrates, and Florentina's name appears on the screen. Gritting my teeth, I swipe to answer. "What now?"

"Have you been keeping your end of the deal?"

Her voice is full of humour, and it makes my stomach twist in disgust. Never has there been a woman I've crossed so vindictive and viperous as her, and now it's got Tamina involved, and it's down to me to get her out.

"Yes. Are you?"

I can practically feel the conniving grin through the phone. "I haven't sent her any notes if that's what you're asking. And Byron has been called off for the time being, so don't worry your pretty little head about it." There's a pause before her tone turns venomous. "And I hope you didn't try to put that tacky ring on her finger."

Holding back the threat I want; I make a grunt sound to play this out casually. "Is that all you've called for? If so, I'm not interested anymore."

I'm about to hang up when her voice echoes through in a sing song matter. "I'll be coming over tonight to round off our deal, so make sure we don't have any interruptions. Am I clear?"

Swallowing back the string of curses I have in mind for her, I compose myself before retorting, "Crystal."

"Good, I knew I could count on you, sweetheart. Ciao!"

With that, the line goes dead. Sighing heavily, I turn back to Tamina's text with that strange feeling I've come to understand is love. I'm happy she's the woman who brought it out in me, and it will be something I'll never forget, and neither will she be forgotten. But now I've got to fizzle it out.

To Tamina: Not now, we'll talk later.

Tamina

The day flew by surprisingly quick considering I'd been spying on my phone for a text that will either shut me down or lead me to the chance to set things straight. Nothing had come, and now I'm standing outside my parent's house with Lucius after my mum had caught us. Not taking no for an answer, I then excused myself and Lucius so we could have the behaviour talk.

"So, no touching?"

My hands sit on my hips. "Not of any kind, and if she lets you snoop upstairs, my old bedroom is off limits."

I don't miss the small twitch of his lip, and I'm certain I'll have to watch him for that one. He's going to do whatever he can to see every little bit of me possible, and it scares me because no one has ever been in there other than my parents.

"OK, I'll try to be on my best behaviour."

Taking his word for it, I say that it's OK for him to enter, and he holds the door open for me to head in first. I'd never thought the night would go like this, but Lucius had offered to drive me and got caught. Now we're going to have to suffer the scrutiny of my parents the whole night, especially from mum since she's more than likely going to meddle with us.