41. I love You

Brandon

I've got to get her back.

Groaning, my fists ache with how tight they're clenched. I've heard nothing from Florentina, which I must take as a good sign. . . but nothing of Tamina. I should've made something up on the spot to keep her at my side. Tamina would've been putty in my hands, but my ill-wit of the heart got in the way.

But now I've got the answer: she's everything I'm not, and there's no way I can be me without her. And there's only one way I'm going to show her that.

Gripping the small box in my coat pocket, a small smile plays at my lips when I exit the elevator and bid my co-workers a good day as I fish out my phone and message the woman plaguing my mind.

To Tamina: I've got an answer for you, and I'm in need of your company urgently. Please meet me outside Costa in an hour and a half, I have some things to run by you, and I promise it will be very beneficial.

Throwing the device into my passenger seat once inside my vehicle, it doesn't take long for me to kick it into gear and accelerate toward my destination.

Tamina

He has an answer.

My heart skips a beat at the promise hidden in Brandon's words, and what he might have to say. What is he going to say? What can he say? It's only been two days, there's no way he could've come up with an answer, at least not with his mother. Or at least his mother helping him find love with me.

Well, judging by the time he sent the text and by the quickness I replied, he should hopefully be nearing town soon, and that means I better make a move if I want to get to Costa on time. Although, the strangest niggling of Lucius' name lingers in the back of my mind, and it takes a couple of minutes to shift it once I'm out the door.

The air is a smidge cooler than yesterday, and the streets are scarce since adults are at work and the young are studying in their classrooms, while I am on my way to see the conclusion of a semi broken relationship. Damn, it feels pathetic.

Shaking my head, I take the left turning, only to knock into another person. Hurrying a quick 'sorry' to them before scurrying down the path, I shove my hands in my pockets in hopes to ease the unsettling feeling in my stomach. I'm going to set it on the fact I'm nervous since this is going to be the first time in a couple of days to see Brandon, and if he plans to sweep me off my feet, it only makes the sensation worse.

My phone buzzes, and I'm shamefully relieved to see a message from Brandon to say he's nearly at Costa. Mine is a quick 'I'll be there in fifteen minutes' before my phone beeps again. Only this time, it's Lucius.

From Lucius: Where are you?

Ignoring it, I'm shoving the device in my pocket before the sound of something hitting the pavement catches my attention. Turning around, my feet lock into place at the sight of a burly man in a mask bolting straight in my direction. I feel like a deer caught in headlights, and my heart hammers in my chest.

Suddenly, a car screeches to a halt beside me, and the door is flung open. "Get in!"

Hearing Lucius' voice startles me from my panic, and I'm jumping in without a second thought before he peels off down the road.

"What's going on?" I exclaim, and he narrows his eyes in the rearview mirror.

"I should be asking you the same thing." His eyes land on me for a split second until they turn to the road. "Tamina, that man was after you, and the other day, I'm certain you were being followed, and I want to know why," he demands, shifting gear.