19. I didn't Know

Tamina

My smile falls when the memory of what she asked comes back. "What did you mean—"

"Where is she?" a high voice screeches somewhere in the distance, and it startles me. Soon after I set the cup down, the sound of heels clicking against the floor comes, and then a woman appears.

Her skin is like porcelain, and her eyes are a harsh blue, and they're quick to land on me.

"You!" she yells, "You're the little slut trying to steal my man from me?"

Eyeing the two women wearily, my feet take a step back and my hands raise in defence. "I'm sorry, but I think you have the wrong—"

A searing pain radiates across the span of my cheek, and it's enough to whip my head to the side. Slowly meeting the frosty stare, her shoulders rise and fall with each ragged breath, and my eyes blink down the tears threatening to appear.

"What is it you think I've done?" I strain, trying to keep down the humiliation and anger. "And who are you?"

"Florentina, I wasn't expecting you so early," Mrs Wolfe steps in, not batting me another glance.

"I was in the area," she retorts. "As soon as I received your message, I had to come." Her eyes land on me, and her lip pulls back. "And this bitch needs to learn her lesson."

"Actually, dear, she didn't know," Mrs Wolfe informs, and my eyes are too busy fleeting between the two.

"What's going on?" I demand, and Florentina's eyes hold amusement.

"Oh, you didn't know? Well, I'm not surprised, seeing how Brandon is." She laughs. "I guess fooling one woman isn't enough."

"Florentina," Mrs Wolfe warns.

"I'm his fiancé, not her," she shouts, and his mum simply nods her head. "And there's no way I'm going to let a little home-wrecker steal him from me!"

My eyes turn down, and there's a silent pause before she chuckles. "Oh my God, he really didn't tell you, did he?"

I shake my head in response.

"Look," Florentina states, pulling her phone from the depths of the handbag slung over her shoulder. The simple motion brings my attention to the sleek black dress hugging her model like frame, and it pulls me back to her features; diamond like with dark eye shadow, and straight hip length coffee-brown hair. "He's been with me this whole time."

One by one, she scrolls through photos of them testing various rings, cakes, flowers, styles, and party plans. In each one, she's smiling away like the happiest woman in the world, and Brandon is void of anything; until one. It's a picture of Brandon embracing her from the side and she's tucked into his arm, and they're both wearing smiles.

It's true. . .

"Florentina, what are you doing here?" Brandon's voice appears deeply, and when my eyes snap to meet him, he's leering at her.

"Oh, darling to be! Don't worry, I've told her for you. I think she understands where she's meant to be now," she beams, and my lips remain pressed in a thin line.

"Tamina?"

I shake my head. "No, Brandon. You're going to tell me why you never told me."

He takes a step forward. "There was nothing to tell because I've told her I wanted to call it off. I never wanted to marry her; I told you my family are stubborn."

My gaze hardens at all of them, hating how this is making me feel twisted inside, and that the man I love is responsible. Shaking my head, I suck up some courage and say, "Look, I'm not going to lie to any of you; I didn't know Brandon was engaged, nor it was to you." My eyes pin on him. "You will be honest to the both of us about who you want, am I clear?"