28. Watch the Speech

Tamina

The warmth is hasty to envelope me, and I'm in awe even though this section is small, but the cute white desk to the left is what draws me away from the plants decorating the lobby. There's a double door closet behind the desk, and accompanying it is a young boy, late teens if I'm guessing right. His skin is fair, and his hair is like milky coffee, and his eyes aren't far off.

"Good evening, would you like to check in?" he asks, settling his hand on the surface of the desk.

Brandon is quick to hand over his jacket and my cardigan to the young man who logs it in under his last name and receives two tickets. He's swift in manoeuvring me so the next person can log in their items, but I'm able to say a rushed thank you before he hauls the next door open. The sight is one I'd never seen before other than on television; everyone is decorated in glimmering jewels similar to mine, and their dresses are just as bright or highly fashioned. On the other hand, I'm not going to be keeping these longer than for today.

Spying the doors scattered along the edges of the room apart from where the stage and the buffet table reside, my interest to wander takes over, but I know it's best to remain at Brandon's side. I'm sure they're most likely for the rest rooms or private halls or something, this building is huge after all.

"Where did you want to sit?" I query, scanning the tables occupying half of the room while the spacious gap is left bare between the spot and the stage for dancing. Banners swing across the corners of the room, and gentle music plays in the background like a whisper amongst the rowdy chatter of the guests.

"We'll have to sit with my family in the section designated for some of my employees, it's a custom order to sit with those of your group, love." He explains. "Don't worry about it, we'll be dancing, drinking, and eating soon enough."

My smile stretches at the thought of us being able to dance together, I'd been practicing and watching YouTube videos for extra measures. Even though his family are going to be next to us, I'm just thankful he'll be there as a podium of strength.

Along the way, Brandon shares a few nods to some of the people who are making way or temporarily leaving their seats to stretch their legs. When their eyes linger on me a little longer than I'm comfortable with, my body shuffles closer to Brandon's side. Shortly after, we're arriving at the table with two spare seats with his family. And Florentina.

"Hello," I greet to everyone as Brandon pulls my chair out for me to sit before tucking me in and taking his own in between me and his dad. "You all look lovely."

I'm not lying. His dad looks handsome in his dark grey tux, just like Brandon in his black one. His mum is splashed in glinting gems, similar to the lighter layer I have around my neck, and her dress is more hugging and silver compared to my puffy golden one. Florentina, on the other hand, has a dark rouge dress that's practically skintight, and there's a decent sized hole over her chest to show off the swell of her cleavage. Her hair is styled like a thick honeycomb block atop her cranium.

"If it walks like a duck, and talks like a duck," Florentina muses, her narrow eyes fleeting off to the right in that feign innocent manner, away from me.

Brandon's mother doesn't say anything to disagree, but she does hand a small compliment. "You look. . . nice."

Taking that as the best I'll get from her, a small smile tugs at my lips as my head bobs in acknowledgement. Brandon's hand seeks mine underneath the table, and it stirs something deep inside me. It's small, but it makes me feel as if we're lovesick teenagers at school trying to hide it from a teacher. To say it's wishful thinking, but I'm unable to deny that it's a good feeling, and I'm not going to let the moment go.