23. Square One

Tamina

You're going to get what's coming to you.

The words continue to float around my head, tormenting me whenever I've got to turn the corner or pass stray pedestrians wandering aimlessly down the streets. The note came early in the morning, and for a solid two hours, I'd racked my mind about who it could be and why. I've seen Florentina, and she doesn't look like the type who can be bothered to run around neighbourhoods and post threatening notes. Other than that, no one comes to mind, and to make myself feel better, it's ruled as a prank note by a random kid who's stumbled upon a game of truth or dare.

With a huff, the angsty words are shoved to the back of my head. At least, they are until hasty footsteps sound, and they keep coming closer. Turning in record time to face the noise, my eyes widen when Jasmine's flushed features are close to mine, causing me to stumble back.

"You little bitch!" she squeals. "You just had to rat on me to Charlie, all because you couldn't take a joke!"

I scoff, making sure to regain my ground so she doesn't corner me anymore than she has. "A joke? Calling someone trouble and trying to degrade them is a poor excuse for a joke. I'd recommend comedy classes, but I think your past the sell by date."

A snort comes from her as she points a freshly manicured nail at me. "Mark my words, Rovers, this isn't over."

Triggering something deep inside me, I grit out, "And that reminds me, the next time you want to send a threatening note through my door, try saying it to my face."

Her thin brows crease in the centre. "You're crazy, but I guess it's cute you think I'd waist my extra time on you of all people." Her eyes narrow into slits as they pin me down. "Stay out of my way, you've been warned, bitch."

With that, she flips her hair and stalks off down the street, leaving me to eliminate her immediately off my suspect list. Releasing a heavy sigh, I pivot on my heels and change direction as my fingers pull out my phone to reply a quick 'yes' to Charlie, who's allowed me the next two days off because of Jasmine. Apparently to clear the air and give us space, and I'll still be paid, which I'm grateful for, but it's starting to set my decision on the matter.

The walk doesn't take long, and I'm confident my visit won't be much longer either with the fact mum wants to meet me in town for Costa, and Brandon wants to meet me at my earliest convenience. I'm curious as to know why, but he said it would be better if he tells me in person, but the cute little 'x' at the end suggests that it was nothing bad, so I'm somewhat at ease about it. As for mum, she wants to catch up, and there's no way I'd deny her, but I'd given her a heads up about Brandon needing me for urgent business.

And now, I'm standing at the desk, waiting for Quinton or one of his parents to come out from outback, so I can ask them for a huge favour.

Playfully dinging the bell, Quinton's voice sounds from inside the back room, and a small smile settles on my face when he finally comes out and greets me with a wide smile.

"Tamina are you alright?" he questions, coming to a standstill in front of me.

My head slowly bobs, before I'm politely asking how he and his family are, knowing straight up blabbing about favours is rude.

"Yeah, they're good thank you—oh!" His eyes widen in remembrance. "Did you manage to find a copy of that book you wanted? We managed to get a copy in."

A warm smile spreads across my features. "Thank you, Quinton, and I'm afraid so, I'm sorry."

Quinton waves a dismissive hand. "No worries, we'll keep it out back for future cases," he chuckles, and I can't help but laugh with him. "So, what can I do for you today?" he asks once we finally compose ourselves.