✾ Chapter9 ✾

I finally finish work and I'm on my to the Chateau when my phone buzzes.

JJ 🍃
SOS CHATEAU ASAP

Already on my way, won't be long

7 minutes later I'm sitting on the couch next to Pope watching JJ and John b explain something 'crazy' that happened.
"And we were right outside, like this." JJ says as he leans against the wall. "And all we hear is BAM BAM BAM! Knocking paint off the wall. From the inside! Alright and I'm just looking at him like—wait first, look at this shit." JJ stops explaining and walks over to us on the couch and shakes his hair all over us.
"That's dandruff but alright." I shake my head.
"Disgusting." Kie complains.
"Yeah okay thank you for that." Pope says pushing JJ away from us.

"Okay and at this point I'm just waiting for death." JJ continues explaining his very intense near death experience.
John b is standing to the side lost in his own thoughts.
"Okay and you saw the guys that shot as us right?" Pope asks.
"Yeah."
"Did you catch a reasonable description of what either of them looked like?" I ask.
"Anything about them?" Kie urges as JJs brain begins to think.
"Anything we could bring to the police?" Pope asks.
"No we can't go to the police they'd find out we know about the wreck and that would just put Lana in more danger." John b shakes his head.

"Burly." JJ states, his voice just above a whisper.
"Burly?" Me and Pope ask at the same time.
"Yeah you know, like the type of guys at my dads garage." He explains.
"That's not very helpful." Kie sighs.
"I can tell you with full confidence that these boys, these killers. Their square groupers." JJ nods. We all kind of look at him confused.
"They're square groupers like narco square groupers? Like Pablo Escobar square groupers?" Pope asks.
"Yeah man." He says, a fully serious look on his face.
"You guys not everything is a kingpin movie." Kie argues not seeing JJs point of view.

"Okay but what do these square groupers look like specifically?" Pope tries.
"You weren't there bro." JJ replies sitting down in a seat.
"Well apparently you don't know what to look for!" Pope argues annoyed JJ can't answer his question.
"Dude I wasn't taking little mental Polaroids the whole time man! I was under duress!" JJ takes a deep breath then begins to talk again. "But I can tell you by the way that Ms. Lana was screaming and these guys are some serious hombres man." JJ insists looking over to John b who nods confirming what JJ said.
John b has the compass in his hands, looking at it flipping it over and over.
"Why would they want the compass anyway?" Kie asks looking at John b.
"The things a piece of shit, you could pawn it off for five bucks." Pope says. "No offence." He adds after John b gave him a small glare but then his eyes fall onto my phone as I check the time.
"Time. Watch. The office!" He says all days as he runs into the house.

"My dad always kept his office door locked, he was worried his competitors would steal his research about the royal merchant." John b explains as we follow him into the house.
"I used to laugh about it to myself, surely no one would do that right? But hey now you never know." He says as he stops in front of the office door.
"Get me a knife from the kitchen yeah?" He asks Kie.
"Here." I say pulling a pocket knife out of, well my pocket.
"Seriously? You carry a knife?" He asks. "Honestly I'm not even surprised." He rolls his eyes then starts trying to get the door open. Eventually he does.
"I've slept over so many times and never have I noticed this room." Pope says.
"Me either honestly." I admit.
"That's a lie Y/n you've asked about it before you've just forgotten." John b says.
"Oh. I guess I have noticed it then." I shrug.

We walk around the office when Pope calls us over to something.
"Here look at this." He says pointing at a family tree map or something on the table.
"That's the original owner." John b points to a guy on the paper. "Robert Q Routledge, 1880-1920."
"There's the lucky compass right there." Kie says.
"Actually he was shot after he bought it." John b says awkwardly.
"Okay then, maybe not so lucky." I say looking at him.
"It was then shipped to Henry in 1947 who was killed in a crop dusting accident when he had the compass." He points at the next guy. "Then it was given to Stephen and he died when he had the compass on him in Vietnam."
"He died in action yeah?" JJ guesses,
"You wouldn't believe it but he was actually hit by a banana truck."
"Oh shit. Way to die aye?" I say trying not to laugh.
"Anyway after that the compass was passed from Stephen down to my dad."
"Sounds like there's a reoccurring thyme here." JJ says.
"Yeah, you've got a death compass in your family." Pope adds.
"And you're holding it right now." I sigh.
"It's not a death compass okay?" John b rolls his eyes.
"Kinda sounds like it to me....."
"Could you not Y/n?"
"Yeah sorry bout that."

Suddenly there's an engine outside.
"DCS?" I ask unsure of who else would be at John bs house.
"No it shouldn't be." John b says. JJ walks to the door and pokes his head out then slams the office door shut.
"No! It's definitely not DCS." He says looking stressed.
"Well who is?" Kie asks.
"The guys from the boat."
"What!?" We all exclaim together.
"Where's your gun?" John b asks JJ.
"I uh it should be....uhhhh." JJ stutters as he feels his pockets.
"The one time we need the gun you don't have it!?" John b exclaims.
"It's in my backpack."
"And where's your backpack?" Pope asks.
"I left it on the porch...."
"Shit. They'd be on the porch by now." I say.
"I guess we just got Y/ns knife then." John b rolls his eyes.
"Risky move bringing a knife to a gun fight but okay." I shrug.

Gonna have to wait for next chapter now! Hope you liked this one Xx
Pls vote :)
-Soph

𝑴𝒆? (𝗥𝗮𝗳𝗲 𝗖𝗮𝗺𝗲𝗿𝗼𝗻 𝘅 𝐑𝗲𝗮𝗱𝗲𝗿)जहाँ कहानियाँ रहती हैं। अभी खोजें