part of a franchise

Everyone sat down on benches around each other. When Daisy sat down, Ethan sat directly next to her. He always seemed to take a liking towards her, but she noticed ever since she had revealed herself, Ethan wasn't leaving her side.

"Okay nerds, listen up! The way I see it, someone is trying to make a sequel to the requel!" Mindy said, catching everyone's attention.

Anika rose her hand and tilted her head in confusion. "What's a requel?"

"You're beautiful sweetie! Let's hold questions to the end," Mindy said, smiling at her girlfriend.

Ethan and Daisy didn't look at each other or even exchange words, but they could both tell what the other was thinking. Mindy was getting on both of their nerves, and Ethan was thinking about just killing her to shut her up.

"Stab 1 took place in Woodsboro, Stab 2 took place at college," Sam explained.

"So, they're trying to reenact the movies?" Tara questioned.

"It's possible. The heroes now in college? Check. Suspicious new characters brought in to round out the suspect list or body count? Check, check, and check."

Mindy noticed people's interest fading, so she raised her voice even louder. "Except we're not in a sequel because no one makes just sequels anymore! We're in a franchise! Which means there are new rules!"

Daisy was intrested in Mindy's theories. Because they were so very wrong. "What rules?"

"Didn't I say hold questions to the end? Anyways, rule one: everything is bigger than last time; bigger cast, bigger budget, longer chases, shootouts, beheadings. You gotta top what came before to keep people coming back."

"Beheadings?" Chad's eyes widened and he shifted uncomfortably.

His twin just nodded. "Beheadings."

He has a notebook and a pen and was taking notes on any valuable thing his sister said. In Daisy's opinion, she was saying nothing valuable. Because all of her predictions were wrong.

"Rule 2: whatever happened last time, expect the opposite. That's how franchises survive, by changing expectations. If the killers last time were whiney snowflake nerds with letterboxd accounts then expect the opposite this time. And Rule 3: no one is safe. Legacy characters? Disposable at this point. So it is not looking great for Gale or Kirby."

Oh how Daisy despised Gale.

"And that's not even the worst part!" Mindy exclaimed.

Chad looked up at Mindy. "This is the part where she tells us the worst part."

"The worst part is main characters are completely expendable now too. That means me, Chad, Daisy! Any of us could go at anytime, especially Sam and Tara."

Ethan put on fake concern. "Wait any of us? Does that mean I'm in the friend group? Am I like one of the targets? ...Am I gonna die a virgin?"

Daisy looked at Ethan awkwardly and in surprise. "That was a weird overshare, Ethan. I'm not really shocked though," Daisy teased, lightly shoving him.

He looked back at her with an eye roll.

"Anyways, that brings us to our first suspect! Ethan! The shy dorky guy who no one suspects because he's so shy and dorky!"

Ethan scrambled to defend himself. "Okay wait why am I on the suspect list? Because I'm randomly Chad's roommate?"

"Roommate lotteries can be juked. You could've fixed it to get next to us!"

Mindy turned to Daisy. "Well, Daisy is a potential suspect. I mostly trust you Daisy, but I'm not very happy that your sister, Amber Freeman, tried to kill most of us!"

Tara shuddered at the mention of her dead best friend.

Daisy deathly glanced at Tara. She had no right to be upset about Amber.

Mindy went on to accuse the rest of the group.

"Okay so we have our suspects," Mindy concluded.

"I don't even think it's fair to suspect me, Daisy, or Quinn. We all just got attacked by Ghostface," Ethan complained.

"It could have been a set up. Trust no one," Mindy shrugged.

"What about me?" Anika frowned.

"You too, Anika," Daisy smiled.

She wouldn't be here for long.

"Is everyone going to stay at the apartment tonight for a sleepover?" Tara asked.

Everyone but Daisy nodded. "Sorry, I have Econ."

"Doesn't Ethan do that with you?"

"He doesn't have it tonight," Daisy answered.

"Alright, we'll miss you, Dai," Ethan smiled.

Daisy tried to not cringe at his fake kindness. Or was it fake?