Mixed Signals

---Kat's POV

"Play any movie I don't mind what we watch," I say to Kyle as he files through Netflix and I take a seat on the couch next to him, wrapping his arm lovingly around me.

"Okay sweetheart," he says with a smile, puts on a movie, grabs the bowl of popcorn from the coffee table, and puts it on his lap.

During the movie I can't help but be distracted. Thoughts about his tousled ginger hair, the way his clothes seem to fit him so perfectly, and his crooked smile that seems to make my heart jump effortlessly flood my mind. What is wrong with me? I have Kyle- a nice guy that loves me. He's sweet, he's practical, he's nice- damn I said that one already. Why am I even thinking about Claude? I'm not on his radar, hell I'm not in the same spectrum he's in. He's not even practical in the least bit and it's silly I'm even thinking about him in this way.

He's a millionaire party boy, with a rough and mysterious side which is not my type- or at least that's what I keep telling myself. I thought we clicked so well- it wasn't hard at all to talk to him but maybe I was wrong. It doesn't help that for the past three days I've been waiting for his name to pop up on my phone and of course it hasn't. What did I expect? I need to get my head out of the goddamn clouds first of all.

"Kat?" Kyle says shaking me from my troublesome thoughts, "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, yeah I'm fine- just stressed about work next week- the preseason is ending and it's the home opener," I lie, only telling half the truth.

"Don't worry you'll be fine," he chimes and kisses me on the forehead before focusing back on the movie. However all I can focus on is the lack feelings I have with Kyle. Aren't I supposed to feel sparks? Feel butterflies whenever I see his smile like I do with Claude? No, no I won't compare him to Claude- I need to stop doing that.

*****

During the warm-ups for the home opener, I gladly take my place on the bench, snap some pictures on my camera and post one to Instagram. Once I see Claude stride confidently onto the ice my heart does a back flip and I try so hard to deny it's happiness. Most of the guys that see me skate by and wave just as I am taking the picture which in turn produced some great/funny pictures.

"Hey Kat," Claude says as he skates by and I try to keep myself from acknowledging the butterflies that take flight in my chest.

"Hey Claude," I say as I take pictures and remind myself about Kyle.

The rest of the night goes by relatively quickly and I snap some amazing pictures of goals, assists and saves made by Steve. After the game I head into the locker room for some pictures to upload to Instagram which doesn't take me long at all.

"Hey Kat! Wanna come out with us tonight?" Zac asks from across the room and gives me one of his devilishly handsome smiles.

"No I'm good," I say as I attempt to leave the locker room.

"Are you sure? It's gonna be fun!" Brayden comments.

I look to Claude who is now staring at me, anticipating my answer while I wait for him to say something like "you should come!" but of course I just get a blank stare and not a warm smile like I was expecting. I look away from him and to Brayden, "Uhm- no I have to check out these photos and then turn them in tomorrow morning," I lie and try not to let my disappointment seep through to my voice. I'm not sure what made me walk out of the locker room faster- my secret embarrassment from thinking Claude would've jumped at the chance to ask me to come or everyone looking at me.

---Claude's POV

"Dude what the hell is up with you?" Brayden asks as soon as Kat leaves the room.