Rainy Afternoon

--Kat's POV

My ringtone blares throughout the room and into my ears, waking me up. The figure next to me, Kyle, starts to shift in his place. I quickly grab my phone, jump out of bed subtly, tip toe out of my room and shut the door behind me. When I look at who is calling, my heart does a back flip.

"Claude?" I say confusedly, my voice scratchy from sleep.

"Kat! Hey!" he answers way too energetically for this time of day.

"What's up? It's 7:30- why are you calling me so early- or at all?" I ask blatantly- I'm not awake enough to keep my thoughts from tumbling out of my mouth.

He laughs at my deliberate accusation, "I'm hurt," he teases, "Can't I call you if I want?"

"Well that depends on if you're done ignoring me."

"Me? How about you? You're the one that's been disregarding my texts and ignoring me wherever," he says lightheartedly.

I open my mouth to say something back but I can't think of anything, "Well- I- I've been busy," I lie trying to get myself out of the hole I dug myself.

"Fine, fine whatever you Katina," he says with a soft laugh. After a few seconds of silence I break it with a hostile tone, "Well what did you want?" I ask. I then remember that last week he asked me in a text to send him some 'in-action' photos of him at practice and games. "I totally forgot to send you some of those photo's I just ha-"

"No, no I'm not calling about the photos," he says cutting me off, "I wanted to know if you wanted to grab lunch with me today after I'm done my workout."

"Oh," I let out, completely caught off guard. I hear some movement in my bedroom and remember Kyle is still in there. Suddenly, the door opens and Kyle's sleepy face appears.

"Hey, I was wondering where you went," he says with a sweet smile.

"Is that Kyle?" Claude asks with a laugh, "Tell him Claude Giroux said hi!"

I roll my eyes at Claude's statement and face Kyle more completely, "Yeah I got a phone call- I was worried it'd wake you up," I say- only half telling the truth.

"Who called you?" he asks innocently and runs a hand through his messy blonde hair.

"Oh- uhm just work, my boss wanted to know if I could email her some of the pictures from yesterday by 5pm," I lie completely through a fake smile, "we're going over some editing details."

"That's not the truth Kaaaat," Claude sings through the phone and I can just picture a shit-eating grin across his dumb, perfect face.

"Oh nice," he smirks, "I'm going to take a shower and leave you to your work," he chimes and head back into my room and I let out a breath I didn't know I was holding.

"Hey Claude, there still?"

"Yes- now back to what I was saying- come get lunch with me."

My heart twists in my chest screaming 'yes' while my head is yelling 'no it's not right.' "Well I don't think I-"

"Don't tell me you can't- I know you sure as hell don't have to take any photos for the team today. Plus you owe me," he counters, cutting me off in mid- sentence.

"Owe you for what?" I ask getting defensive and aggravated with his cocky attitude.

"For ignoring me for so long- c'mon Kat it's just lunch. Ditch the Kohl's boy and you'll actually have fun- let's go," he answers.

"Fine," I say irritably before my head can answer for me. Guilt floods my chest as soon as Claude says great, gives me more details about lunch and we hang up the phone. It's true; I'm bound to have more fun with Claude, which is ultimately the worst part about this situation.