7 Weeks?

Rhodes Beverley

I tensed, bouncing my knee.

Shower. Shower. Shower.

She had to shower. I had to shower. She had to shower.

We sat in the doctors office, they did a bunch of preparation stuff including both of us being in gowns and someone between her legs a few weeks ago.

I immediately was uncomfortable. Even if I was in this room with her.

This time, we weren't in crazy outfits, she was just in a gown and still someone between her legs, checking something out.

I hated having to come here all the time.

The nurse left.

"Hey, look at me love." She said, squeezing my hand and I chewed my lip, looking at her.

"Today we find out about our baby. I go home, I shower, you shower, we eat. But today is about the possibility of finding out I'm pregnant. We just have to wait." She smiled at me.

"Today we see if it worked. What would you like to do if I'm pregnant? What's a good celebration?" She asked.

"Showering." I smiled.

She sighed.

"And a wedding. And t-things I can't speak o-of." I shrugged.

"No one's here, is it dirty?" She studied my face.

"Yup."

A knock on the door.

The doctor came in with a file.

"Alright, I have the results to discuss but first I'd prefer you to feel comfortable so if you desire to change, go ahead then we can talk." She smiled.

"Thank you." Cecelia smiled.

The doctor left and she got up, undoing the gown and I helped her dress.

She opened the door, letting the doctor know she was done.

"Alright, so we have very good news! Do you know how at your last appointment over two months ago we said five of your eggs fertilized?" She sat in her rolling chair, Cecelia on the crinkle paper on the bed.

"Yes ma'am." Cecelia rubbed her hands nervously on her thighs.

"You both, are officially, seven weeks pregnant. Baby is about the size of a grape." She showed me with her hand and I looked at Cecelia who's face was burning red.

"Weeks? Are you sure? Don't people usually find out at like a few days then it goes?" She asked.

"That is typically how it is. But when those eggs fertilized, two months ago, one of them stayed and it worked out. I couldn't quite believe it either which is why they checked and didn't have you see but here you are." She handed her a little folded wad of photos.

"This is it?" She asked so quietly, looking at the little black dot on the photo.

"Congratulations Cecelia, Rhodes." She smiled.

Cecelia just looked shocked.

"Are you sure I'm 7 weeks?" She asked.

"Absolutely positive. You might've caught it before us if you took a test but I recon you had no symptoms or sickness?" The doctor asked.

"None." She whispered.

"I'll leave you both too it, it was lovely helping you along this journey of IVF, I'm so grateful and happy it was successful, I will see you in the future for your next appointment." She stood and shook Cecelia's hand who still couldn't believe it.

She knew better than to shake mine.

"Congrats Rhodes." She smiled at me and I nodded.

"Thank you." I whispered.

She left.

"Come here baby." I said and she stared at the photos, moving off the bed and into my lap.

I looked at them with her.

"This is in y-you. Our l-little baby." I rubbed her stomach.

"7 weeks, Rhodes." She said.

"I know. Talk t-to me." I rubbed her arm.

"I don't know. I expected a gradual just growth, discovering things slowly. But I'm pregnant. Like, I should have a belly in a blink. I'm carrying a baby. God I'm so grateful I haven't drank since that terrible night." She shook her head.

"Doesn't f-feel real?" I asked.

"No. Not at all. I wasn't mentally ready." She squinted, listing the photos closer to her face.

"Oh I'm sorry, I'm hoarding them." She tried handing them to me.

"Baby I'm g-good. I can lo-look later." I kissed her shoulder.

I could believe it. I was ready. I am confident. I feel better. I think I'm going to take care of her and our baby very well.

I know I am because I have love to give.

"You're okay?" She asked me.

I laughed.

"I'm fine. A-are you having a-any bad fe-feelings? Do y-you not w-want this?" I asked.

"I do. But how do I be a mom? I'm- I'm putting a child into this terrible world, how do I tell them all the terrible things and teach them what to do? How do I protect my baby without sheltering them?" She asked me.

I stood, setting her on the floor, holding her to my chest.

"You will know. Y-you will know w-what is best for o-our baby. Your b-body is built for this, y-your mind is chemically d-designed to care for your baby. You will k-know when the time comes. I'll be t-there to guide you, love you, l-love our baby. But y-you are their m-mother. You know." I kissed her hair.

"I'm so nervous but excited but shocked and really hungry." She muffled into my shirt.

I shook my head.

"Let's g-get you fed."