05 } Risk It, Die

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

RIKKI AND I HAVE BEEN TAKING THIS ROUTE SINCE ACE BEGAN. My mom was always paranoid. Like constantly. She was the type of person to stock up on food in the basement and never miss out on a deal for things we already had plenty of. She told me that one day the world was going to come crashing down and that we better prepare for it. 

I never knew she was right

The moment I turned eight years old she had put a bow in my hand and started taking me to archery lessons she paid eighty bucks for every hour. When my grandparents died she'd inherited a fuck ton of money so we were pretty well off. She used all said money not on college or a car - but on survival. 

As a kid I complained over everything she made me do. When she took us camping every month, when I had to go to three archery sessions a week and then the self defense classes. Now though, I'm obviously grateful. And now that I'm older, I can respect archery as more of a skill than a hobby. 

Rikki was born deaf. Mom didn't think there was much she could have him do because of it. And that put a lot of added work on me. Extra things for me to learn so I could learn for the both of us. 

Rikki thought it was rude. Mean. He thought she found him incapable. And she's definitely not got the best way of showing it, but the only reason she's so hard on me is because of how much she cares for him. She wants to rely on me, she wants to know I can keep him safe. 

Mom was apart of a facebook group that normal people would call 'doomsday preppers'. She said it was a survival group. And I didn't care. Back then, I did what she told me to - and then I went on to school to see my friends. That was my life. 

Then thirty minutes into a long bus ride for one of my archery comps we got into traffic. Everyone on the bus groaned knowing we'd missed the competition - but I didn't have time to before my mom had driven herself to where we were stopped and picked me up muttering things about the government. 

She took Rikki and I out to an...interesting looking place. It looked kind of Amish. But without the religious tones. It looked like a survivalist camp. And soon I learned - that yup - that's exactly what it was. 

Turns out mom's facebook group was like...a club? It was kind of culty but minus the worshipping and creepy undertones. If that makes sense. They'd been preparing this place for years. They called it ACE. Said it stood for the best of the best. Like when you have a significant player on your sports team and you call them your Ace. I was my archery team's ace. And then in a matter of seconds, taken off a bus in the middle of traffic, I wasn't. 

Again. I didn't care. I kind of wanted to just go home. Eat some pop tarts. Be done with her paranoid bullshit. 

Then I used my phone for the last time. Saw the news, the alerts, the livestreams of people getting eaten - all the chaos. Thought I was going insane. Thought it was weird my mom, the usually frantic and weird one, was, in fact, right