33 } Father Of None

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

▬▬ι═══════ﺤ

IT'S MOSTLY SILENT ON OUR WAY BACK. Every now and then someone will murmur something - this way? Watch out for that rock. Are you hungry? Thirsty? We should be there soon - but what everyone wants to say is forgotten. Pushed to the back of all our minds. There's no way any one of us has nothing to say - but there's also no way any of them will be the one to start that conversation. 

I've found that disturbingly silence can be much more comforting than noise. When I was taken, years ago, silence meant no one would be coming to use us. Noise meant they were around. Now though, silence can't comfort me - it can't even give me room to comfort the echos in my mind because Mars is immune, Mars is immune, Mars is gone, What are they doing with her, What else are the people around me hiding?

"We should talk." I blurt out, stopping the pace - everyone in front of me stopping as well and turning. 

No one refuses though. So I guess we were all waiting for the first one with enough guts to talk. 

"We should." Lope agrees.

"We should..." Gray trails off to look ahead on the trail before back to us, "Fine. Let's talk. But quick." 

Lope raises her hand, "I'll go. Who here knew Mars was immune?"

There's some silence between the group of us before both Gray and Blake raise their hand. 

"Just you two?" I ask, eyes creeping towards Sylvie - who has become an enigma since we were back at ACE.

"Me?" She blinks, "You think I knew?"

"I mean...did you?" I ask.

"No!"

"Okay!"

"As a matter of fact I feel a little betrayed I didn't." She adds, stalking over to Lope and I's side, standing next to us.

"Great," Blake scoffs, "Girl power." 

"Oh, I'm sorry Blake." Lope most definitely isn't, "It's not like this is a zombie apocalypse and immunity hasn't existed for a year. It's not like the entire time we've known Mars she's been hiding bite marks from us. No, you're right. Right now - the most scoff worthy thing is a group of girls standing next to each other after being left in the dark-"

"Alright." I put a hand on her shoulder when her volume starts to increase, "That's...you're right, but let's just listen first." 

Lope reels back, taking in a deep breath before eyeing Gray and Blake, "How long have you known?"

"Since before I met any of you." Blake answers. 

"How'd you find out?" I ask curiously. 

"Holland." Blake answers, "He turned when we were with him, remember? He bit her and she stopped me before I could shoot her."