Chapter 4

Diere
I plug in Augusts address in the gps. I've never been on that side of town before but I pretty sure that's were all the rich people in town live but what did I expect generational wealth is a thing and he is white. But I didn't expect him to be this rich. I pull up to a large house not quite a mansion but close enough that I'm taken aback it has a huge yard and it's fenced off. There's rose bushes leading up to the house and a Royce roller and a bnw parked in the front of the house and suddenly I regret coming this place is ridiculous. I mentally prepare myself before getting my stuff and walking up to the door taking a quick breather before I knock. Once I finally do I hear a deep groggy voice yelling "COMING" I wait by the door patiently when august opens the door when I'm about to greet him I realize he's shirtless I catch my eyes skimming over his toned body and quickly snap away.

"Oh diere hey" he says rubbing his eyes and yawning for some reason I feel flustered and have to clear my throat before I can actually speak.

"Yeah sorry we're you sleep-" I'm interrupted by who i guess is his mother she's beautiful and looks almost exactly like august. Same sharp features, soft eyes and dark hair

"August put on a damn shirt for god sake this is a house not a jungle gym." She finally notice me and switches her tone like a switch "sorry boys am I right and who are you?"

"Hello mrs Montgomery my name is diere nice to meet you"I hold out my hand and she shakes it firmly.

"She's here to work on a project mom come on in diere" he moves to the side so I can step in and the house is even more beautiful on the inside. White walls lined with photos and medals. A large chandelier and grand piano which is placed in the center of the entrance. August leaves to grab a shirt I'm hoping and leaves me and his mother alone.

"You have a beautiful home mrs montgomery" I look around in awe and she chuckles.

"Please call me Wanda and thank you dear. Would you like to sit the dinning room is right up here" august walks downstairs and stops us before we can reach the other room.

"Mom we're gonna go work in my room" he says placing his arm around me which makes me flinch a little and he awkwardly moves it away.

"Ohhh okay well let me know if you kids need anything!" She yells up the stairs since august is already leading me upstairs as she's talking. Once we reach his room he opens the door with a ta-da which makes me smile a bit. His room is exactly how I imagined it there's posters all over and a skateboard hung up on the wall his bead sheets are plain black and his bed is messy but intentionally messy. Theres also vinyls in his room which I pick up while walking around his room to get the full tour.

"You actually listen to these or are they just here for decoration" I point at the vinyls in a stand under a record player.

"I actually listen to them" he says scoffing and patting the seat next to him on the couch he's sitting on. I reluctantly sit down leaving a good amount of space between us and he gives me a look but ignores it.

"Not that I mind or anything but how come your mom was here I thought you said she wouldn't be?" I say confused.

"Oh my dad cancelled on her so yeah that's why."he doesn't seem to want to talk about it so I leave it alone. I wonder what his dad is like and if he looks as similar to august as his mom does but just an older version. I imagine older august with stubble mostly black but a few grey specks and smile lines and faded bags. I realize that I'm zoning out so I decide to break the awkward silence so we can finally begin

"So should we start?" I ask pulling out my binder laptop and pencil case which makes august give me a weird look. "What?"

"Nothing it's just you came prepared" he holds in a laugh and bites back a smile. I nudge him in the arm. "Ouch"

"Only a fool is unprepared or whatever the saying is anyway let's get started." I reach for my headphones but august stops me.

"I can put something on my record player what do you wanna listen to?" I follow him over to the record player standing on my tippy toes to look over his shoulder at the records.

"Hmmm maybe that one" I point at Frank ocean "blonde" album and he makes an appreciative hum.

"Good choice" he puts the record on the player and starts it turning around. He's barely 2 inches from me and I can feel his breath on my face. His eyes meet mine and as soon as they drop to my lips I quickly look away turning back to the couch.

"I'm suprised you even listen to Frank" I try to say as casually as possible but my heart is beating at 100 miles per hour as I sit back down in my seat.

"What did you think I would listen too?" He says sitting closer to me on the couch we're sharing and I feel my breath hitch but I don't move away this time. He leans his chin on the palm of his hand as he waits for my response

"I don't know like artic monkeys or like Rolling Stones or something" I shrug picking up my binder and outlining my part of the essay he does the same.

"Your something else you know that?" He dosent look at me when he says it instead he pretends to be focused on whatever bullshit he's typing it's definitely not words.

"No I don't know that please enlighten me." I put my notebook and laptop to the side and face him placing my head on the palm of my hand.

"Ok" he copies my previous actions and faces toward me "firstly you can't let anyone do anything for you but you go out of your way for others" he looks at me studying my expression to see if I'm hurt but I can't be hurt because it's the truth.

"Secondly?"

He sighs "you have a weird thing about making new friends"

"You learned all of this from a few conversations with me? Maybe you should be a physic or something" I grab my laptop and start typing again.

"Well...?" He says stretching it out witch annoys me.

"Well what?"

"Was I right?" I don't know if I like that he knows this much about me from only a few weeks of knowing me it makes me wonder if all my hiding and suppressing my emotions was useless and I'm not as hard to read as I thought. Or maybe he just actually cares enough to look past the façade I put on for everyone but then again I might just be getting ahead of myself.

"I don't like this" I mumble avoiding his eye contact I stand up and walk over to his record player. "We should play something I hate working in silence" I say realizing he forgot to play the vinyl. I looking around in his selection of record I see that we have similar taste in music but I decide on the channel oraange album. I carefully slide the albumn out and put it in the record player. I've always wanted one of these but I could never save enough for one. As the music starts playing I hum along to it walking back to the couch sitting on the very opposite side from august.

"Good choice I love this albumn" he starts humming with me he has a nice voice not quite good enough to be a singer but not annoying or out of tune it's strangely calming.

"Yeah me too you have good taste in music"he hands me his outline and looks at me awaiting my aproval I skim over him and nod he smiles proudly and I try to hold in my laugh. We spend and hour and a half singing and talking about our favorite artist and songs it was kind of fun in a way august is easy to be around he dosent expect anything from me which is something I've never experienced with anyone before. Maybe we could be friends. I look down at my phone and it's 9:30.

"Hey I gotta head home" I grab my tote bag and stuff my laptop, binder and search for my pencil bag I look over and august is handing it to me I grab it from him and say a quick thank you.

"Alright" he stands up and follows me downstairs and walks me to my car closing his front door behind him.

"Text me when you get home" he says quietly scratching the back of his neck."just so I know you got there safe"

"Ok....dad" I laugh rolling my eyes at his protectiveness he doesn't laugh though so I'm guessing that he's serious "you don't have to worry but I will" I open my door and he rest his hand on the top of it as I sit inside I don't start the car waiting for him to say what's on his mind.

"Well" he clears his through snapping out of whatever he was in his head about"good night diere" he steps back from my car I say goodnight back and he closes the car door. I start the engine and wave goodbye he waves back.