Chapter 16

Diere
After august and i officially stated that we're together i feel way more at ease. I don't really care for the labels but just knowing that he wants to be with me for real makes me overthink about the whole thing less. Just as we're finished our project august mom knocks on the door to tell us dinner is ready and I'm really nervous I've never met a boyfriends parents I've never even had a real boyfriend before. August and I walk downstairs hand in hand and once we reach the table august pulls out the chair for me.

"Wow you've turned my son into a gentleman. Must of been a hard task." He dad laughs but it's actually the exact opposite august is the one who made me more chivalrous if anything.

"Not really august is always that way" I say and his dad just smiles grimly as Augusta mom hands everyone there plates of roast beef, mash potatoes and rolls. A big salad placed in the middle.

"So diere what are your thinking for college?" His dad asks and I feel like I'm in an interview but I guess this is what adults talk to kids our age about.

"Princeton, yale or rice are my top 3 but I'm keeping my options open" he laughs in response.

"Shooting for the stars aren't you?" Confused by his statement laugh awkwardly and august rolls his eyes in annoyance.

"Diere gets straight a's dad and her gpa is a 4.5 it's not that unobtainable for her" he spits out in a hostile tone. His dad laughs in disbelief.

"Really?you?" He says laughing some more until Wanda clears her throat. Why is it so hard for him to believe that I get good grades it's not that crazy of an idea. I really want to leave but I stay for august.

"Diere how was your homeschooling?" Wanda ask changing the subject and I let out a low sigh of relief.

"It was okay I was worried about being behind but that wasn't the case thankfully" I explain shoving bland mashed potatoes into my mouth. This could really use some hot sauce but I don't want to be rude and ask for any.

"Speaking of school how's school going for you august?" Mr. Montgomery interrupts and I can tell by the look on Augusts face he doesn't want to talk about school.

"Fine"he answer simply before turning to me secretly pointing at his phone signaling for me to check my messages.

August: hurry and finish so we can leave🙏🏽
Diere: I'm trying my best
August: try harder

I look at august trying to hold in my laugh hes doing the same. I start shoveling the food into my mouth eating as much as I can.

"What do your parents do?if you don't mind me asking" I do mind but I'm not gonna tell him that I'm not gonna give him any reason to think I'm being hostile or overreacting.

"My mom is a nurse and my dad is a carpenter" I say and a grin appears on his face. I really don't wanna be here.

"A nurse hm? What kind of nurse?" He says in a cocky tone that makes me barf in my mouth.

"Licensed practical nurse."

"Oh yeah that makes sense" what the actual fuck is wrong with this man I know august said he was an asshole but u didn't know he was also an old ass ignorant fuck. I try to calm down I can't let his stereotypical comments get to me.

"Dad what the hell" august says sticking up for me and his dad looks at him like he's crazy. His dads head is so far up his ass he can't even tell that he's being a dick.

"What son I'm engaging in conversation I don't see you speaking up." His dad says passive aggressively and I'm just about ready to leave. I pick up my phone pretending like I got a message.

"Uhm sorry to cut this short but my mom wants me home" I interrupt and august looks over to me. A guilty look on his face.

"Ill walk you out" august says as I stand up to leave. He follows me outside in silence letting out a groan once we close the door.

"Diere I'm so sorry my dads such an ass I can't believe he said those things I don't know what I could do to make it-." He rambles on and on and even though I feel like running away I stay. I lean my head on Augusts chest and he sighs in relief. For some reason I feel like crying I try to hold it in but a tear slips from my eye falling onto Augusts shirt and I guess he feels it because he tilts my head up to look at him examining my eyes with a worried look on his face.

"Diere... I'm sorry. I'm so sorry. I'll never forgive him for what he said." He just repeats he's sorry over and over again into my hair, wrapping his arms around me-and I feel bad because I don't even know why I'm crying I just feel so invalidated and belittled.

"No no stop I just I don't know what to do. I don't know what to say. I don't know where we go from here. I mean he's your dad." August looks up from my hair with a deep frown on his face.

"I understand but I want you to know I hate him for making you feel like that" he says grabbing my face wiping my tear away then planting a kiss on my forehead. And I nod my head.

"Are you okay to drive home?"

"Yeah I'm good thank you for listening to me and understanding." I really appreciate since I don't really know how to handle this situation. I'm mean it's not like I've never had someone be micro aggressive towards me but it's different when it's your new first boyfriends dad.

"Of course we can talk about this tomorrow when you've had time to think about it if you want."he says but instead of letting me go he pulls me in closer to him.

I can tell august is not gonna pull away first so I climb into my car waving goodbye before driving off. This whole situation has made me wonder if letting myself be vulnerable to someone was a mistake especially to august I mean what did I expect obviously we grew up with different backgrounds, different surroundings, different parenting styles. I turn on music to stop myself from overthinking. Once I pull up to my house I see angels car in the driveway so I guess she's sleeping over. She does this every once in a while she basically lives here.

"I'm home" I say to no one directly as I step inside the house locking the door behind me. And just as I thought Angel is sitting in the couch waiting for me I sit next to her on the couch laying my head in her lap as I curl up into a ball.

"What's wrong d" she says as she runs her hand through my hair. This is why she's like my older sister she always knows when I'm not okay and she has the best advice.

"Me and august are dating" I say and she jumps making me fall out of her lap. She helps me up and places me on the couch next to her sitting cris cross apple sauce next to me waiting for me to explain.

"It's new like just confirmed at his house which I just came from" Angel squeals excitedly holding my hands in hers. Ever since she got a boyfriend she's been trying to get me to date so I can go in cute double dates with her instead of being the child third wheel. I don't mind it though.

"Wait then why are you upset" she ask and I tell her everything from the party to the dinner where his dad assumed I couldn't get into good colleges and thought my moms job was a joke.

"What a dick" angels says and I hope she puts like a curse on him or something.

"That's what I'm saying but now I don't know what to do with august. How do we move past this." I'm interrupted by a notification on my phone.

August: Goodnight my beautiful,intelligent, funny,confident,very capable girlfriend
August: I hope you sleep well
August: and I'm sorry again for today

I show the text to Angel not being able to form any words. He's too perfect there has to be something wrong with him.

"AHHHH! He's too cute" Angel says reading the text. Shaking me back and forth breaking me out of my trance. "What are you doing text him back!" She says handing me the phone back. What does one reply to a message like that? I rewrite the message over and over before I decide on a response.
*diere loves a message*

Diere: you have nothing to be sorry for
Diere: I hope you sleep well too sweet,creative, annoyingly pretty, thoughtful boyfriend.