Eight. Red Snow

CHAPTER EIGHT - Red Snow

|

✎

THE TWO OFFICERS FOLLOWED BEHIND ATHENA'S CAR as Summer snacked on a packet on chips that she kept in the glove compartment, Vienna sighed. "Can you stop chewing so loudly please"

"Cranky" Summer mumbled putting the bag back into the compartment. "So, where are we going?"

"I don't know, but the way we're heading most likely to dispatch" Vienna said to her, Summer nodded slowly.

"Have you met Buck's sister?"

"Not yet" She replied keeping focus on the road.

"...can I continue eating my chips now?"

"No"

"Damn it" Summer mumbled under her breath sitting back in her seat, Vienna rolled her eyes.

Vienna was correct they we're heading to dispatch, the four got out their cars and headed inside.

"I'm not sure how we can help, Sergeant, but whatever you need" Sue Blevins said to Athena.

"Athena, please. I'm off duty"

"This is Josh" walking over one of the dispatchers sat at the desks. "Athena, Vienna, Summer and Buck, Maddie's brother"

"Maddie's told me a lot about you" Buck replied shaking the young man's hand.

"Same here, Any word on her?" He asked them.

"Well, police don't have much to go on yet. So, neither of us are good at sitting around and waiting so I thought we'd come by and ask you some questions, unofficially" Athena explained.

"Sure. what do you want to know?"

"Well, when people dial 911 you can see where they're calling from, right?" Vienna asked him.

"If they're calling from a landline, absolutely. Cell phones are trickier, we don't get an automatic address"

"Or system has to digitally request the phone's location from the cellular network" Sue added, Vienna nodded.

"Okay, well, this is Chimney's phone, we think he was in contact with his attacker" Athena replied holding up Chimney's phone.

"Maddie's husband"

"Uh, Chimney didn't know it was him, he-he thought his name was Jason" Buck stammered out.

"Now, I'm wondering, hypothetically, if this number called 911 and hung up, is your system able to request location data after the call was disconnected?" She asked them.

"Hypothetically, sure" Sue replied. "But we'd-"

"Of course we could" Josh chimed in, cutting Sue off looking at the number on Chimney's phone. "You know, it's funny, this number seems familiar, and, in fact. I think I might have taken a call from it earlier. An emergency call" and she sat back at his desk.