Twenty Three. Date

CHAPTER TWENTY THREE  – Date

|

✎

VIENNA SAT DOWN ON THE COUCH, the last 48 hours had felt like a fever dream as Nova jumped up on the couch sitting next to the blonde. "What the fuck happened this week?" Vienna asked herself.

48 HOURS EARLIER.

"At 0500 this morning, guards at Central California Women's Facility prepared prisoner 081316 for transport. Rosalind Dyer, the most rare of unicorns- a female serial killer" Sergeant Wade Grey announced to the briefing room full of officers. "For the last five years, she'd been on death row, confined to an 11-by-8 cell. Today, she's coming to us. Now before I get to assignment details, I want to defer to Assistant District Attorney Del Monte for background on Ms. Dyer"

"Good morning, everyone. My name is Sean Del Monte. For those of you who are familiar with this case, in 2015, Rosalind Dyer was convicted in the torture and mutilation killings of seven individuals" Monte started to explain to the officers.

"But there's evidence that body count is much higher" Armstrong chimed in.

"In three of those seven murders, the bodies were never recovered, so now Dyer has agreed to show us the location of those three victims-"

"Excuse me, sir?" Nolan asked cutting the man off. "In exchange for what?"

"Well, her sentence will be commuted from death to life without parole" Sean answered.

"Why the hell are we cutting her that break?" Reyes asked them from her seat.

"Well, it's not for her. It's for the families of those victims, they've been waiting a long time for closure"

"Yeah, what about the other families?" Armstrong asked him, "The ones that we promised the death penalty? What do we tell them? 'Cause they're calling me"

"Just tell them it's above your pay grade, Detective"

"Why does she have to come here?" Lopez questioned from next to Reyes. "Can't she just tell you where the bodies are?"

"She claims not to know their precise locations. Griffith Park is over 4,000 acres. Dyer says the only way she'll be able to identify the dig sites is by retracing her original footsteps"

"Well, that's bullshit" Vienna blurted out. "All she wants to do is relive those kills, why should we give her that?"

"Exactly" Armstrong agreed with the blonde.

"Well, if she doesn't lead us to all three bodies that the deal's off, so..." Reyes rolled her eyes.

...