Forty. One

CHAPTER FORTY – One

|

✎

IT WAS EARLY IN THE MORNING when Vienna's phone rang. She groaned and rolled onto her side grabbing her phone off the nightstand.

"What?" She asked though her tiredness.

"Why's one of your rookies in my college classes?" Gabriella questioned through the phone sitting down on her couch.

"Gabby, i-it's-" Vienna started checking the time, "5:30 in the morning. I have an early shift. And which rookie?"

"The old one"

"Oh, Nolan, okay" Vienna sighed. "Why are you awake?"

"Uh, I couldn't sleep. So, what do I do?" Gabriella asked her. Vienna groaned.

"I don't know. Now let me sleep!"

"Okay, okay, jeez" Gabriella mumbled before Vienna hung up. Vienna threw her phone down and turned back onto her side.

"Who was it?" Eddie's guff voice asked from beside her, wrapping his arms around her.

"Gabriella. Something about college"

...

"Did you ever do undercover work?" Rossi asked her T.O., Vienna nodded taking a sip of her coffee.

"Why?"

"Well the other rookies are at undercovers classes and we're stuck taking normal calls" Rossi complained, Vienna chuckled slightly. "So, how much undercover did you do?"

"Not much. I used to work with Samantha on them until..." She sighed.

"What happened between you two?"

"Long story" The brunette shrugged, "Why do you wanna be a detective?"

"Uh, I'm not really sure, I mean I'm interested in undercover work...so yes kind of"

"7-Adam-20. Hit and Run at 7328 Hollywood Boulevard"

"7-Adam-20. Responding" Rossi replied into the radio.

The two officers pulled up at the location. A car was rammed into a lamppost. Vienna sighed turning off the engine.

"Where's the other car?" Rossi asked as the two took off their seat belts.

"I don't know. You grab the medkit, I'll check on the victim" Vienna told her getting out of the car and running over to the car as Rossi got the medkit from the trunk.

The driver's side window was shattered already, "Ma'am?" Reyes asked opening the car door and quickly checking the woman's pulse.

No pulse.

Reyes sighed. "She's gone!" She called as Rossi quickly ran over.

"Damn it" Vienna felt the blood on her hands, she glanced down at the woman and noticed a bullet wound to the chest.

"She was shot"

...

Vienna glanced around the crash scene. When a white mask on the floor caught her attention. She furrowed her brows confused before putting her gloves on and bending down to it.

"What's that?" Detective Parker asked walking over to her.

"It's a mask" Vienna shrugged.

"And why's it important?" The blonde asked her with a harsh tone.

"I don't know. I just found it"

"Leave it then, it's probably one of the stupid Halloween spirit masks" Samantha told her before walking away. Vienna rolled her eyes and dropped the mask.

"Bitch" She mumbled to herself. "What'd you do to piss her off?" Reyes asked walking over to Rossi.

Rossi shrugged her shoulder, "I didn't do anything. She's just a bitch sometimes" Reyes chuckled slightly.

...

"You wanna know what your rookie did?" Samantha asked storming over to Reyes.

"No precisamente" Vienna replied, taking a bite of her bagel. Samantha looked at her confused. "It means no" It was the beginning of Reyes's shift and she already had enough paperwork from yesterday so she didn't really wanna know what Rossi had done this time.

"She doing an undercover op with Harper" She told her crossing her arms over her chest.

"Oh, good"

"No. it's not good, Reyes. It's dangerous and she's only a rookie" Vienna rolled her eyes and stood up from the desk and walked over to the briefing room where the officers had just finished their meeting as Sam followed her in.

"What the hell are you doing?" Parker asked, "You can't pit an untrained probationary officer against one of the most dangerous crime syndicates in California"

"I don't want to hear it, Sam. She volunteered. Plus, Reyes and Grey authorized it and we have some of the best operational expertise she could ask for" Harper explained to the blonde, Parker quickly turned around to Vienna.

"You did what?" She questioned.

"She can handle herself and she's with Harper. It's not like we're sending her in blind" Vienna shot back.

"You two are ridiculous" She hissed before storming out of the room.

Vienna rolled her eyes, "She's so dramatic" before glancing at Summer. "Stay safe out there" Summer nodded before Reyes walked out of the room.

...

"Can I ask you a question?" Nolan asked Reyes as they watched the op from the top of one of the buildings nearby.

"No" The brunette replied.

"What's your formula for when you tell people you're a police officer in off-duty life?" Nolan asked her anyway. She sighed.

"I try not to put myself in social situations when I need to" She answered keeping her eyes on the op.

"Right. It's just that I got outed as a cop in my Criminal Law class, and there's some pretty strong feelings that I should've been upfront about it" He quickly said to her.

"Who outed you? Was it Gabriella?" She asked.

"Uh, no, one of the other students"

"Well, you did the right thing keeping it a secret. Now you gotta sit in the back row, always have your eyes on the door"

"Why?" He questioned.

"They know you're a cop now, that means they know you carry an off-duty weapon. Someone may try to take it from you or maybe just attack you because they hate cops" She shrugged giving him a quick glance.

"All due respect, I can't live my life like that- with being suspicious of people, seeing the world as dangerous"

"The world is dangerous" She mumbled watching a black SUV pull up to the parking garage as she quickly grabbed her radio from her side. "It's go time" she said into it

Tysm for reading! Sorry for any mistakes!

Written: 29/07/2023

Published: 08/11/2023

Word Count: 1001