Chapter ten

I started mixing the horses grain when I heard the door open. I glanced over to see a male body in the sunlight. The darkness in the barn covered up his face.

"Who are you?" He spoke. I slightly laughed in my head. I know this wasn't Nobel so I presumed it was his cousin.

"Liz" I dumped another handful of grain in a bucket.

"Ok Liz why are you here?" I heard his heavy footsteps come up to me.

I looked over to see his face clearly. Blue eyes, blond hair, strong built, probably bareback bronco rider. His eyes softened as he looked at me.

"Helping. So who are you?" I smiled tenderly at him as I propped my elbow up on the grain bin. The boy smiled at me.

"You can call me Stephan" he held out his hand.

"Nice to meet you Stephan"

"Pleasure is all mine" he answered.

My smile increased slowly at how much of a gentleman he was acting like. We just stood there looking at each other smiling. I didn't know what to say and I'm sure he didn't either.

"Steph..." both me and Stephen turned around to the barn door. Again a male's outline was there. The shadows covering up the face but his voice telling me who it was. Noble.

"Liz?" He stepped closer to me. His face finally outlining. I smiled at him.

"Hey! I was just wondering if I could escape here. I was about to leave but your mom put me to work" I raised up the grain buckets. Nobel still looked confused.

"Everything ok?" I could finally see Nobel's face in full. His eyes showed worried while his lips formed into a frown. I nodded my head.

"Yeah Jenny is just spoked after the accident. I could use another rodeo but you know. There's no rodeo soon" I shrugged my shoulders. Nobel studied me for a moment. I knew he was questioning me and why I was here.

"I can leave if you want" I pointed to the door ready to leave. I wasn't going to stay of I wasn't welcome.

"No no I'm sorry. I didn't mean to be rude. I just...didn't expect you here" Stephen looked in between me and Nobel as if there was a invisible fishing line between us.

"Well then...this is awkward" Stephen finally spoke up. I glanced over at him to see him leaning back on his heels.

"Lets go see if aunt Ruby made dinner yet" Stephen about skipped out of the barn and up to the house. My eyes followed Stephen. I heard Nobel fake cough drawing me out of my trance.

"So you let Stephen" Nobel lead me out of the barn. I nodes my head.

"Bronc rider?" I asked. Nobel nodded his head confirming my earlier thoughts.

"He's nice enough. Just don't let him flirt with you please" Nobel looked over at me. I smirked at him.

"Why? Someone jealous?" My smirk grew as I learned in front of him. Nobel's eyes seemed flustered while his cheeks turned slightly pink. My smile grew and Nobel smiled back at me.

"Me? Pff...never"

"Mmhmm" I rolled my eyes. Nobel glanced over at me one more time before shoving my shoulder playfully.

"No your more like a sister Jesus" my smile dimmed a little at Noble's words.

I don't know why but hearing the simple words more like a sister told me nothing was coming out of this friendship. Not that I wanted it to. Just...I don't know. I guess my mind was just playing tricks on me.

"Tell your mom I said bye. I think it's about time I get home" I admitted looking down at the ground. I felt Nobel's eyes on me but not a single word escaped his mouth.

"Talk to you later Nobel" I gave him a small wave goodbye before I speed walked the rest of the way to my truck.

The whole time I felt Nobel's eyes on me. I don't know what it was but I wanted to turn around and say something. But instead I kept my head forward and my feet moving. Maybe Jenny wouldn't be so bad to deal with now.