•Chapter 15•

GEMMA AND I STROLLED into the hallway, dressed fancy and looking hot. I wore a strapless black dress with gold sequins, hugging my body perfectly, my hair neatly curled to shoulder length. Gemma, in her white button-down shirt and khaki slacks, exuded elegance alongside me with matching hair.

With confident smiles, we elegantly made our way to our first class of the day. Gemma's model features, previously hidden under baggy clothing, drew a few admiring looks from passersby.

As we walked, I noticed everyone staring at us—jaws dropped, eyes widened, some even drooling. I overheard a girl whispering to her friend about admiring my sense of fashion and wishing to be like Gemma.

It felt good to be back, and I gave Gemma a slight hug as we parted ways for our respective classes.

On my way to my second class, I bumped into Caroline, and her expression changed upon seeing me.

"Caroline, what's wrong? You didn't reply to my messages," I said slowly, concerned.

She hissed and walked past me, prompting me to follow her into an empty classroom. It seemed she wanted to talk in private. Wrapping my arms around myself, I pleaded, "I swear I didn't do it. Why can't you believe me? Don't you remember the girls' code?"

Almost on the verge of tears, she finally replied, "Even though you didn't do it, it's all your fault anyway. If you weren't a bully, Liam wouldn't have wanted revenge."

"Caroline, how can you say that? You know I never wanted to be a bully. Have you forgotten how I was bullied freshman year? Monica and her minions forced my head into toilet water, beat me up after school for reporting them. I had to hide the scars for days so my parents wouldn't see them," I reminded her, frustration evident in my voice.

She rolled her eyes, seemingly disgusted by my words. "Monica got expelled a few months after, at least you got your freedom. But your pompous behavior is sending me to France of all places. My parents are disappointed in me. I hate you, Zoey," Caroline spat out.

Her words pierced my heart, and I fought back tears. Betty walked in and joined Caroline, adding to the tension.

"What's with the friendship thing with Gemma? I thought you hated that girl. You're making me sick, Zoey," Betty complained.

"She isn't as bad as you think. She's fun to be with," I defended, stepping closer to them. "I'm sorry if I've wronged you guys. I need you. I need my friends back."

Betty exchanged a look with Caroline, her expression colder than ever. With a glare, she left, and Betty followed suit.

By the end of my third class, my mind was in turmoil. I sat on the bleachers, sipping a banana smoothie and pondering.

Was I too hard on my friends?

Gemma appeared beside me, breaking my thoughts. "What's with the long face?"

"I can't believe they ditched me. We've been friends for years," I murmured, the hurt evident in my voice.

"Did you talk to them?" Gemma asked, showing concern despite the situation. I nodded, and she sighed deeply. "Why did they suddenly change? Since freshman year, I've always envied the bond you guys shared. They were always supporting you, even though they knew the truth."

I stood up, grabbing my smoothie. "I'll see you later. I need to do something urgently," I said, before walking away slowly into the hallway.

"Don't dwell on it too much," Gemma called out, her expression mirroring my own pain.

"Trina, are you okay? Your performance today wasn't up to par. I need you to practice more," Mrs. Lanai said, addressing one of the players.

I watched from the farthest corner, observing the practice session until it was over. Once it ended, I made my presence known. Anna was the first to notice me, rushing over with the rest of the team.

"Zoey, you're back! We've missed you so much," Anna exclaimed, placing a hand on my shoulder. I returned the gesture with a smile.

"Zoey!" Mrs. Lanai exclaimed, engulfing me in a tight bear hug. "How are you?"

"I'm fi-fine," I mumbled as she released me, gasping for air. "I want to join the team for the regional competition." It took courage to blurt it out.

Mrs. Lanai shook her head regretfully, turning away. "I'm sorry, Zoey. But I can't. I promised your dad I wouldn't let you play again. What if you get hurt?"

I stepped closer to her, my voice trembling with fear of rejection. "I won't. It's been months since that incident. I've been practicing."

"Please, Mrs. Lanai, let Zoey back on the team. She's one of the best players we've got," Anna pleaded, joined by the rest of the team.

"I'll talk to your father. Do your best to convince him," Mrs. Lanai finally relented.

I jumped with joy, exchanging high fives with Anna. Her surprised expression showed she didn't expect such a reaction from me, the usual mean girl.

That evening, after dinner, I gathered my courage and told Dad about my decision. He was furious. "No, sweetie. I can't let you do that."

"Why, Dad? You know how much I love to play basketball," I protested.

"Sweetie, did you forget what happened the last time you played basketball? You almost lost your leg," Dad exaggerated.

"It was just a sprain, Dad. It healed within days," I countered.

"You know how much Zoey loves to play basketball. Please let her join her team in the regional championship," Mrs. Becca interjected, trying to convince Dad.

"Don't overstep your bounds, Becca. This is between me and my daughter," Dad snapped at her.

The way Dad spoke to Mrs. Becca angered me further. "I thought you always supported me in whatever I do, but it's obvious you don't care anymore," I exclaimed, storming off to my room and slamming the door behind me.

Thanks for reading please vote, comment and share.