•Chapter 29•

I settled into one of the couches, dropping two plastic bags of chips on the table before me. With the remote in hand, I clicked through channels, searching for something worth watching. My eyes scanned the screens, seeking out anything interesting that might catch my attention. Finally, a movie popped up and captured my interest. It seemed promising, so I got comfortable on the couch, sinking into its plushness and leaning against the side. I tore open one of the bags of chips and started eating, chewing thoughtfully while engrossed in the TV.

It was shaping up to be the stress-free morning I had intended, just me, the TV, and some snacks. However, my peaceful moment came to an abrupt end when Ashley walked into the living room and grabbed the remote from the table.

"It's all over the news, a guy from your school's dad escaped from prison. Here you are watching..." She rolled her eyes. "When Halley Met Sally."

She changed the channel, and my attention was immediately drawn to a picture of Liam, alongside an older man who bore a resemblance to those Mexican mafia bosses. The man had dark brown hair and a goatee beard. My heart skipped a beat as the bag of chips slipped from my hand to the floor. I felt my stomach drop to my shoes. This couldn't be happening.

"Thomas Crawford escaped from prison this morning, according to the police. It is believed he'll surely go after his only surviving son, Liam Crawford, who managed to survive his brutal stabbing years ago. We advise everyone to keep watch for him in the streets and avoid any contact with him at all costs-"

Ashley sighed and switched off the TV. I sat transfixed in my seat for a moment as I tried to process my thoughts, if this was actually happening then Liam might be in a terrible state. Probably in the verge of revenge or suicide.

"Did you know the guy?" Ashley asked in a mouthful of tortilla chips as her gaze drifted to me. I was speechless.

A loud banging on the door brought me back to my senses. Ashley stood up and made her way towards it, unlocking the door and opening it slowly. Mrs Lanai rushed in almost pushing her aside, I stood up from the couch to meet her.

"Zoey, is Liam here? have you seen Liam?" Mrs Lanai asked frantically. I frowned in confusion. Wasn't it obvious that he wasn't here?

"No. He's not here." I answered honestly.

"Is it the guy from the news?" Ashley asked.

I nodded and her jaw dropped. "Why would he be here? I mean, do you know him? Zoey."

I nodded.

"Liam didn't come home last night, and this morning seeing the news, I'm scared." She confessed, wiping tears away from her face. Mrs Lanai turned around to me. "He doesn't eat, he won't sleep, I've been calling him but I can't reach him... And now I found out Liam is missing, and no one knows where he went?" Mrs Lanai started sobbing uncontrollably.

"What's going on?" Mrs Becca asked as she walked into the living room.

"It's about the boy on today headline news, he's missing," Ashley mouthed as she took a handful of chips to her mouth. She continued chewing without bothering to chew before speaking. "We need to report this to the cops, Mrs. Don't worry too much."

Mrs Lanai collapsed into the couch, sobbing loudly. Mrs Becca looked like she was just thinking whether she should help or not but ended up leaving to take the call. Mrs Lanai sniffled, trying to calm herself down.

Ashley sat beside me as I took out my phone to dial Liam's number. I held the phone closer to my ear waiting for it to ring but there was nothing. No answer. Nothing at all. I tried again and still, nothing. Not even Liam's voicemail.

"What if his father went after him? I can't imagine what he'll do to him, I've always taught Liam to forgive. But this is something so horrible..." I heard Mrs Lanai whimper. Her words were enough to get me on edge.

I couldn't survived this. Knowing the fact that he's missing. Each seconds as I tried to call Liam, my heart sinks deeper and deeper. I didn't notice the others gathering around me until Mrs Lanai grabbed onto my shoulders and shook me.

"What do we do?! Zoey, I'm helpless!" Mrs Lanai yelled hysterically. "This should have happened to me, not Liam."

I was caught completely by surprise. Why was I getting all emotional now of all times?

Mrs Lanai left the house few minutes after we called the police, and I went to my room. I kept trying Liam's number again and again, I tried my best to think clearly about how this could possibly go wrong. Maybe the police already found him. Or did they say anything else about him on the news? I couldn't remember.

My phone started blaring as I walked out of shower, I rushed to my phone. Instantly checking for the caller ID, it was Gemma.
I answered the phone hastily. "Hello?"

"Hey, Zo. What happened? I heard Mrs Lanai voice, this morning." Gemma asked, concern laced through her voice.

"Liam is missing." My voice hitched in my throat as I glued down tears that threatened to fall. Gemma gasped audibly.

"Missing? Oh my good riddance, has the police said anything yet?" Gemma replied, panic lacing through her voice.

"Not yet, but they're looking for him right now. He's not replying my messages, his line is not reachable." My voice was starting to crack with every word and I felt hot tears running down my cheeks.

I heard Gemma sigh. "After seeing the news today, I'm scared. We should look for him, I'm coming."  She hung up the call.

IT'S BEEN RAINING for hours as I drove past the alley toward the wood, hoping to catch sight of Liam. Gemma stared at me confused as I pulled into the woods, parking the car near the entrance. I opened my door to get out.

"I think he might be here, we once came here together. He told me he liked the environment." I explained as I walked further into the woods.

"Zoey, wait. The woods are a bit dangerous, maybe we shouldn't." Gemma suggested but I ignored her and walked deeper inside. "This isn't a good idea. Walking into the woods in the rain."

I pushed pass a small tree. Water trickled down the bark and damped my clothes instantly. A branch snapped under my foot. I flinched instinctively.

"Zoey-" Gemma warned but my focus wasn't fixed on her anymore. I kept walking further into the woods, she followed me close behind. "At least we should wait for the rain to stop."

I could hear the sound of water drops hitting the ground. "I know, but I have to do this. I need to find Liam," I said, turning around and wiping a wet strand of hair from my forehead. "I'm sure he'll be here."

Gemma glanced at my soaked attire and frowned. "You're going too far, you don't know where the path leads to. Please let's go back."

"Trust me with this, I'm sure..." I turned away toward the direction I was heading in but I lost my footing and crashed onto the ground. Pain spread throughout my body as the sharp pain spread like fire in my knee and shin, making me scream in agony. I tried to push myself up again but the pain only got worse. I knew it wasn't good, but at this point I wasn't afraid at all.

Thanks for reading